TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

distributor mod

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote First_Gear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/20/2021 at 3:31pm
I just had read this on the forum somewhere. Maybe it was Farna? I don't remember. Anyway just thought I would put it out there. Do you know what current the fet is rated for? That might tell us something.
rgsauger View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rgsauger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/25/2021 at 9:26am
 You could also get a late 70s or early 80s DurasPark distributor and use it to trigger an MSD 6A. That’s what I have in my jeep and I absolutely love it! Use the big distributor cap from a 1981 Ford 300 straight six engine. The MSD and hot coil made all the difference in the world.  
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/25/2021 at 1:00pm
I am using the Petronix in a Delco distributor in a 67 232. Use the Petronix coil and full voltage, no resistor. Touch the key and it is started.

I also have a Delco HEI from a Chev 79 Nova IIRC but I haven't found the right gear for it yet. I would put that one in my spare 232 engine. Anybody know a P/N for that gear? 
I used that distributor in my 66 truck for a while before switching to a V-8 and it worked perfectly.

HEI or Petronix, from my experience, they both work good.
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/25/2021 at 2:28pm
Originally posted by vinny vinny wrote:

I also have a Delco HEI from a Chev 79 Nova IIRC but I haven't found the right gear for it yet.

I believe I've read the AMC gear will fit the hei distributor, so you may already have one.  
1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/26/2021 at 3:36pm
I sent a Prestolite points distributor to a guy and he sent me back a defective something from a Jeep with two vacuum lines coming out of it. I tried that gear on the HEI but it was too big on the shaft. I guess I could have a repair sleeve machined to fill the gap. 

If it were from a Delco distributor then yes I think it would fit the HEI but up here the only Delco distributors were on the US made Rambler Americans. Canadian built cars used the Prestolite. I don't know what brand distributor they used on the later Jeeps with a 232.

Edited by vinny - Nov/26/2021 at 3:54pm
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2021 at 7:18am
First_Gear -- probably was me. I ran a Borg-Warner electric overdrive with an EFI system though. I didn't know if the (Jeep 4.0L, RENIX) electronic ignition module would like being grounded. Coil sat on top of the module, and I don't think I could ground the coil without grounding the module. So I put a relay in the power wire to the module so it quickly turned off/on. Grounding may have been fine, I just didn't want to burn a module up to find out. Since it's grounded for such a short time it probably would have worked for a while... until it didn't... Don't like being stranded without knowing exactly why!!  No fun even then, but at least you know what needs to be fixed! Took me a few hours to find an O2 wire melted to the exhaust manifold where it fell. Who'd have thought a grounded out sensor wire would kill an engine? Did on the RENIX!!
Frank Swygert
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2021 at 4:07pm
 Picture no good

Yes Tom, it looks like the gear from Prestolite 3227331 (75/76? Jeep 232) may fit the GM HEI.

Any body know much about these Prestolite distributors and what causes them to fail? Rockauto has a picture of it.

Edited by vinny - Dec/09/2021 at 4:18pm
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2021 at 5:46pm
Originally posted by vinny vinny wrote:

Any body know much about these Prestolite distributors and what causes them to fail? Rockauto has a picture of it.

Frank knows about them... I think the deal is, the signal from the distributor, to the electronic box, is very weak by nature, and the connectors get intermitent, high-resistance etc and make it fail. Cut, splice, solder the wires, clean the connector, etc might help.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/10/2021 at 6:22am
What TomJ says. Soldering the wires is actually in a service bulletin issued by AMC shortly after they started using the things. A better gold plated connector or cleaning the connector often would work, but...

The next thing that goes wrong is the plastic double diaphragm vacuum module (advance?). They go bad with age, and I don't think anyone makes a replacement. 

It uses the right gear for a GM HEI. So does the older AMC model Delco distributor. The Ford style distributor gear can't be used... makes sense!
Frank Swygert
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/10/2021 at 9:54am
Thanks guys, you do know your AMC stuff. 

Sure enough, the vacuum port of the 75/6 distributor is open. I pulled the gear to use on the HEI. Some material had to be removed from above the gear teeth to get the roll pin in. The GM gear does not have that excess height above the gear teeth.

Edited by vinny - Dec/16/2021 at 8:45am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic