TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

distributor mod

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote formationrx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: distributor mod
    Posted: Nov/13/2021 at 5:22pm
i been looking at converting my distributor from the old style to an electronic one... upon looking into it...  seems there are lots of options..  im wondering which is the simplest best way to go... my car is a 67 rambler american with a 199 engine....  should i get a whole electronic distributor?... a conversion kit? or  distributor ignitor?... i have seen you guys chat about a Pertronix #1162A ? or a Pertronix 2?.... what are you guys doing to improve spark?
5spdwagon View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 5spdwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/13/2021 at 9:04pm
I put a HEI in my 258
Real hot rods have 3 pedals
Heavy 488 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy 488 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/13/2021 at 9:35pm
Ive had good luck with the pertronix myself.
wittsend View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wittsend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/13/2021 at 9:48pm
I have no idea what it takes to get a more modern electronic AMC distributor set up. Sometimes it takes a harness, ignition box etc. The very modern stuff is often crank triggered and a computer is needed for timing adjustments. This is just generic and not AMC specific.

The Pertronix is straightforward and simple. Get the Pertronix 2. The Pertronix 1 can fry if the key is left on without the engine running in as short as 30 seconds - or less.
'63 American Hardtop
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/13/2021 at 11:45pm
Pertronix Ignitor II (I think is the product name) is just great. It's worth the extra money.

I suggest also fully disassembling the distributor. Pull the shaft out, gun-brush the bore, clean out the spiral groove, oil, etc. You'll be surprised how much freer the thing will spin.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

formationrx View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote formationrx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/14/2021 at 4:24am
thank you... it means a lot to me you guys took the time to help me out...
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/14/2021 at 9:54pm
At the bottom of this long list of images is an early Delco Remy distributor taken apart, and with an Ignitor II installed.

First_Gear View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote First_Gear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/16/2021 at 5:48pm
If you have a manual with electronic overdrive you must stick with points fyi or run a relay.
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/16/2021 at 10:04pm
Originally posted by First_Gear First_Gear wrote:

If you have a manual with electronic overdrive you must stick with points fyi or run a relay.

Are you sure? The Pertronix just "grounds" coil minus, just like points, only using a MOSFET or something. Grounding it externally shouldn't matter at all, and wouldn't harm the MOSFET. The pertronix wouldn't even "know".

Am I missing something?

(Ugh, stuck OD relay or governor contacts is not-good -- happened to me once, on I-5 up to Portland. Kickdown, it shorted the coil per usual, but FORGOT TO LET GO, since the gas-pedal was floored the exhaust filled with fuel+air. The relay/gov let go a half or full second later, and KABOOM! blew the entire end out of a brand new muffler. NOT GOOD. lol.)

wittsend View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wittsend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/17/2021 at 10:39am
Originally posted by tomj tomj wrote:

Originally posted by First_Gear First_Gear wrote:

Are you sure? The Pertronix just "grounds" coil minus, just like points, only using a MOSFET or something. Grounding it externally shouldn't matter at all, and wouldn't harm the MOSFET. The pertronix wouldn't even "know".

Am I missing something?

I agree. When you consider all the circuits on an electronic board that share a common ground I don't see a problem. Of course there is always doing something stupid. I remember the time at the college when a student SOMEHOW (???) wrongly forced a polarized twist lock connector on the Fisher camera dolly and put 120 volts AC into the the ground side of a camera. BZZZZ..., $5,000 for a new camera head! Shocked
'63 American Hardtop
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic