TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Fuel pump woes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mymark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/24/2021 at 9:25pm
My fuel pump went today , ordered a new one trough my local shop . It is in Toronto, takes a week to get here on the Island . Just glad the car is safe and sound in the warm garage .
Donohue
mymark View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mymark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/04/2021 at 10:06pm
Got the new fuel pump today , spectra premium # sp1077mp . Installed and she fired right up , time will tell but my parts guy said he has good reviews for that brand .
Donohue
hacksaw1971 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hacksaw1971 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/08/2021 at 3:38pm
ok .. i seen what yall have had to say on this and i do agree that the carter pump is not so good. but what im looking for is a stock looking pump with 3/8's  line out to the carb that will keep up with with the needs and keep 7-8 pounds when i got my foot in it. she will have the stock (tweeked with) 4300 mostly  but when i take her to the track i will put the torker and holley on it. any ideas? 
its the little things that make the biggest difference
1982AMCConcord View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1982AMCConcord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/08/2021 at 4:26pm
Originally posted by hacksaw1971 hacksaw1971 wrote:

ok .. i seen what yall have had to say on this and i do agree that the carter pump is not so good. but what im looking for is a stock looking pump with 3/8's  line out to the carb that will keep up with with the needs and keep 7-8 pounds when i got my foot in it. she will have the stock (tweeked with) 4300 mostly  but when i take her to the track i will put the torker and holley on it. any ideas? 

I used the USMP Model from Rock Auto and it's been fine so far... It's still early to tell but I probably put a few hundred miles on it before old man winter came a knocking. It's an ISO certified company... And I'd like to think that will lend to some degree of additional quality but only time will tell. I also have another Carter that I got as an exchange from Rock Auto. So... I'll have a back up sitting...
mymark View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mymark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2021 at 9:47am
I ordered a pump from NAPA as well , for a spare it is 3 to 4 weeks away .
Donohue
amxron View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2021 at 10:11am
Why aren't you using the warrantee on the first pump or at least a refund?

Ron.
AMXron
Fleet/Jeep Mgr.
Orbit AMC/Jeep
50-1787
1982AMCConcord View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1982AMCConcord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2021 at 10:24am
Originally posted by amxron amxron wrote:

Why aren't you using the warrantee on the first pump or at least a refund?

Ron.

Are you asking me?

I returned one and then ordered another at the same time in case the first I ordered didn't work I already had the other one in the mail! I figured with all the horror stories about these pumps lately I better have a few on hand! :)
hacksaw1971 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hacksaw1971 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2021 at 5:56pm
napa is the only game in town out here in the woods... everything else is like 60 miles away round trip. good thing is  as me and other amc guys and other old car guys come out of the woodwork  he is keeping things on the shelf now.  pumps .. tune up parts some gaskets. sadly most other stuff is a ups order and the extra shipping that gos with it unless ya want to wait on his stock order once a month.... its looking like a lot of the parts houses are getting smart and keeping some common stuff on the shelf now for the older cars. you would be surprised just how many 30-40-50 even 60 year old cars are folks daily drivers .... well here anyway. kinda cool going to get a filter at napa on a Saturday afternoon and the newest car in the lot is a 86 .... 
its the little things that make the biggest difference
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/19/2022 at 1:30am
Two Carter M6505 fuel pumps failed on my 360 in one week back in December. Neither one lasted more than 2000 miles. They are the small body pumps that look more like the pump used on the six-cylinder engines rather than the larger pumps V8's are supposed to use. I've never had a problem with the small body Carter pumps on sixes, but I suspect they are not meant for V8 use. Perhaps they don't have enough travel in the diaphragm and the V8's are over-flexing them. Who knows...but they fail constantly. 

Technically they were NAPA B0107-P pumps, but they are rebranded Carter M6505's. Carter has a near monopoly on our pumps. NAPA, Delphi, and a whole host of others are just reboxed Carters. 

Airtex used to make a good large body pump for our engines, but they've gone out of production since Carter bought Airtex a few years ago. Now Airtex pumps are reboxed Carter. 

I will be contacting my Carter sales representative about all of this and raising a stink. I hope they will listen and fix the problem with these pumps. 

The US Motor Works USMP-16263 seems to be our best option now for an OE replacement pump. 

1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
mramc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mramc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/19/2022 at 5:40pm
Try the GMB fuel pumps. They are Taiwan not China and seem to be better quality over all. They are available from Rock auto if you can find them no where else. I got one for my six cylinder Javelin after getting a bad Delphi (CHINA) fuel pump that only lasted about 15 minutes. LRDaum
LRDaum
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic