TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Fuel pump woes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mymark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/10/2022 at 2:27pm
Installed RobbMc fuel pump , shorten lower rad hose and adjusted fuel pump body it works like a charm money well spent .
Donohue
WhatISit View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhatISit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/10/2022 at 5:00pm
I was thinking about getting the RobbMC one, myself. Definitely going that route after reading through everything. 
1982AMCConcord View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1982AMCConcord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/11/2022 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by 73Gremlin401 73Gremlin401 wrote:

Originally posted by 1982AMCConcord 1982AMCConcord wrote:

The MF0016 is for the 232/258 motor.

It doesn't matter because that not the one I ended up purchasing but regardless.... that's not what Rock Auto shows...

AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1982AMCConcord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/11/2022 at 12:57pm
Originally posted by mymark mymark wrote:

Installed RobbMc fuel pump , shorten lower rad hose and adjusted fuel pump body it works like a charm money well spent .

Apparently you missed what I wrote in one of the recent posts.... There's no question about whether or not the RobbMC pump is a quality part for me... it's just that now I'm looking for a dual purpose solution so I can upgrade to fuel injection later. It makes no sense for me to buy a carb only solution or that's wasted money. 
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1982AMCConcord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/11/2022 at 12:59pm
Originally posted by Mopar_guy Mopar_guy wrote:

I just seen this in another post.

It seems that Holley part number 12-307 for a Jeep CJ fuel tank fits an AMC1 type fuel tank.

What is to be done with the electrical pig tail on top of that Holley fuel pump? Does that have to be modified or removed??? 
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/11/2022 at 1:30pm

What is to be done with the electrical pig tail on top of that Holley fuel pump? Does that have to be modified or removed??? 

No. Two of the wires are for the pump and the other two are for the fuel level. You would hook your sending unit wire to one of them and the other is a ground. If you were to go that route, you would want to switch the low pressure pump that I showed earlier to use with a carb.

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1982AMCConcord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/15/2022 at 6:03pm

No. Two of the wires are for the pump and the other two are for the fuel level. You would hook your sending unit wire to one of them and the other is a ground. If you were to go that route, you would want to switch the low pressure pump that I showed earlier to use with a carb.

Ohhh... Ok... So you're saying if I get the Holley drop in... To switch to the low pressure pump and if/when I go to fuel injection... Then swap out the pump to the higher pressure unit... That sounds pretty easy... 

Any possible hiccups I should be aware of??? 
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/15/2022 at 8:04pm

Ohhh... Ok... So you're saying if I get the Holley drop in... To switch to the low pressure pump and if/when I go to fuel injection... Then swap out the pump to the higher pressure unit... That sounds pretty easy... 

Any possible hiccups I should be aware of??? 

Yes that's exactly what I'm saying. Yes it will be easy to swap the pump back to the high pressure for the fuel injection.
The only thing I would say is try and get that sock positioned on the bottom of the tank and use a long sock to get as much coverage as you can.

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1982AMCConcord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/15/2022 at 8:11pm

Yes that's exactly what I'm saying. Yes it will be easy to swap the pump back to the high pressure for the fuel injection.
The only thing I would say is try and get that sock positioned on the bottom of the tank and use a long sock to get as much coverage as you can.

Ok. I'm glad you told me this. This already sounds like the best solution. 

Thanks!
mramc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mramc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2022 at 4:47pm
If you have to go with over the counter mechanical fuel pump the GMB is made in Taiwan and are good. The Delphi and Carter are now made in China and are junk. LRDaum 
LRDaum
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
  Share Topic