TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Wrong starter?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FasterAsteroid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wrong starter?
    Posted: Oct/12/2021 at 8:25pm
I have a 64 Classic 770 that the previous owner swapped a 1968 199 cu engine into. It was extremely noisy when starting right when I bought it, but it started. Now the starter wont engage at all. I had the starter checked out at a local shop and it is fine. the bendix gear looks good too.

Before I pull the engine to address the flex plate I wonder if I could have the wrong starter. Anyone know if the '64 starter might have a different gear size? Just looking in the starter hole makes me think the ring gear teeth are finer than the bendix looks.

Thanks in advance. This forum has the best people.
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/12/2021 at 8:37pm
If the PO used the 196 starter, then that would be your problem. The 196 had a smaller diameter ring gear then the 199. It would bolt up, but not engage properly.
FasterAsteroid View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FasterAsteroid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/13/2021 at 8:36pm
Thank you for the fast reply. That was the news I was hoping for. I wish I knew the history of this car, it would reveal much vital information.

tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/14/2021 at 12:57am
We rarely, if ever, get to know the car's history. These were more or less economy cars. They have about as much history as a Toyota Yaris or Honda Fit, which I use for non-car people as a comparison to early Rambler Americans: solid, sturdy cars, a good buy, but run until they are not wanted and abandoned. Worse, no service history via VINs etc. And in an age where maintenance was much more hap-hazard.

I've learned to sort-of assume the worst; carefully look over prospective cars for evidence of the worst stuff, rotted suspension attachment points, engine compartment covered in orange radiator rusty water, that sort of thing. And never bring those home.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic