TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Sanity Check for Price on Moser One-Piece Axles?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Sanity Check for Price on Moser One-Piece Axles?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2021 at 1:48pm
The weak link when doing more than AMC engineered into the cars rear axle is undoubtedly the two piece axle. The differential ring and pinion are plenty tough to handle more power than people think.
The axle and how it's retained are the issue. years ago a guy road raced a pretty much stock Javelin at BlackHawk Farms Raceway, I read his story. He ended up using Ford 9" ends on the axles and retainers, IIRC. I wish I could find the article. If anyone knows where to find this article, please post a link, it might help Scrappy.
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
Red Devil View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2021 at 7:53pm
Ray Larson's "The Story of My Engine".   His issues with the stock AMC20 were after he " upgraded" to aftermarket one-piece axle shafts.  They would work out of the housing during the race as the pressed-on bearings and retainers didn't locate the shaft positively like the stock setup.  Fixed by going to 9" ends for more robust bearings and retention.  Did bend some stock shafts going over curbs on the track, hence, desire for something stronger.

Hope this helps,
RD
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2021 at 9:41pm
After my wonderful experience with the Ford 7.5" axle in my roadster (what was a 1961 American) if I have to lift a finger to adapt an AMC rear, for a non-stock application, I'll buy a brand new custom made Ford 7.5" axle, narrowed and geared as I like it, and just weld on suspension adapters. And get rear disc brakes and parking brakes that connected to the '61's parking setup by making my own equalizer (one afternoon).

The 7.5" is 75 lbs lighter than the big axle. If you go the junkyard route, they're cheap, people toss them. They'd be fine for sixes and light V8s. One piece axles. Use the dual-pattern U-joint to connect to an AMC driveshaft. Last of "our" type is 1998.

THe thing is, getting one narrowed is easy. Only the tubes need work, you can buy axles of whartever length you want and they're not pricey.

Of course AMC wheels bolt on perfectly.

Not AMC, but it's not a part that changes the character of the car in any way (other than better brakes).

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

Scrappy View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2021 at 12:42pm
Originally posted by farna farna wrote:

You mentioned not needing the strength of the 9". I understand you want to use the AMC 20 since it was recently rebuilt and has a Tru-Trac, but a Jeep XJ Dana 35 would have worked. They are a little wider than a car AMC 15, and a little stronger -- and have one-piece axle/hubs. Many have limited slip, but not all. There was also a HD D35 used in a lot of 4.0L Comanches (not sure about XJs -- probably fewer) that has slightly larger diameter axles. You would likely have to use deeper wheels like the Eagles did (XJ/MJ axle is same width as Eagle) though. Maybe not an option for you, but could be for others who want a bit stronger axle than an !MC 15, but not as heavy as a Ford 8.8" or 9". The Ford 8" is also a bit stronger than an AMC 15 and pretty common. The D35 and Ford 8" are a bit stronger mainly because of the one-piece axle/hub. Some of the internals may be stronger, especially in the HD D35, but they are roughly equivalent to the AMC 15. AMC15/D35 use the same 7-9/16" ring gear (interchanges), but other internals are different.
Those are good points, but beside the axle itself, I don't want to deal with another set of brakes (it has aftermarket discs), getting a drive shaft made, and having to possibly have wheel fitment issues with the new wheels I already have.

Edited by Scrappy - Sep/25/2021 at 12:49pm
Scrappy View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2021 at 12:48pm
Originally posted by tomj tomj wrote:

After my wonderful experience with the Ford 7.5" axle in my roadster (what was a 1961 American) if I have to lift a finger to adapt an AMC rear, for a non-stock application, I'll buy a brand new custom made Ford 7.5" axle, narrowed and geared as I like it, and just weld on suspension adapters. And get rear disc brakes and parking brakes that connected to the '61's parking setup by making my own equalizer (one afternoon).

The 7.5" is 75 lbs lighter than the big axle. If you go the junkyard route, they're cheap, people toss them. They'd be fine for sixes and light V8s. One piece axles. Use the dual-pattern U-joint to connect to an AMC driveshaft. Last of "our" type is 1998.

THe thing is, getting one narrowed is easy. Only the tubes need work, you can buy axles of whartever length you want and they're not pricey.

Another benefit of the 7.5" over the 9" is less parasitic drag.  Depending on who you ask, the 9" wastes an extra ~5% in power (some say 2%, some say 10%, who knows?), which is merely a side effect if you need the strength of a 9", but if you don't, it's just another detriment.

This is why I got a custom 12-bolt from Moser for my '57 Chevy, instead of a 9" which would have been less expensive.  I'm never going to need more than the 600 ft-lbs this 12-bolt is supposedly rated for, especially since I don't drag race (slicks or not).
gremlin 72 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gremlin 72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2021 at 8:02pm
Just received moser axles this month for my gremlin, from moser. Axles $385.00 sealed bearings $70.00 bearing retainer $17.50 and inner & outer seal kit $20.00  Total being $492.50 plus shipping and tax. Hope this helps. 
72 jolly green gremlin X
Scrappy View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2021 at 10:25am
Originally posted by gremlin 72 gremlin 72 wrote:

Just received moser axles this month for my gremlin, from moser. Axles $385.00 sealed bearings $70.00 bearing retainer $17.50 and inner & outer seal kit $20.00  Total being $492.50 plus shipping and tax. Hope this helps. 
Thanks, just ordered mine for a total of ~$545 for everything. 
Scrappy View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/01/2021 at 8:49am

IMPORTANT UPDATE 10/01/2021:  MOSER AMC 20 "CAR" AXLES ARE "NOT AVAILABLE" WITH TAPERED BEARINGS

I received my axles and the bearings ARE NOT TAPERED.  In short, when I called, Shane at Moser said they "don't do" tapered bearings on the car axles and "doesn't know" why they are able to do that on the Jeep axles (even though everything is the same except for the bolt circle & flange).

I am going to see if there's something I can do to fit the SET 9 bearings and will update with a separate thread if so.
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/01/2021 at 9:38pm
What's the axle-retention mechanism then? C-clip style, like the small Ford? Those work fine. If high-axle-twist-torque is your overrriding concern, drag-race style, C-clip has no disadvantage. C-clip weakness, such as it is, is all in turns, repeated and high-G turns.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/02/2021 at 12:10am
Originally posted by Scrappy Scrappy wrote:

Y'all,

My ongoing quest to replace a bent hub/flange on the AMC 20 in my '79 Spirit looks to be ending up with one-piece axles using tapered bearings.

The issue is how it's gotten to here and what I'm now being quoted on a price of Moser one-piece axles.  I thought my issue was finally solved after months of looking when a supplier claimed to have an appropriate axle and hub, which I paid for with a money order (fool me once).  Turns out, the supplier didn't have what he claimed.  When I demanded my money back, he offered to get me a set of one-piece axles from Moser "for just a bit more than what you've already paid me," which seemed reasonable, so I agreed, given that the Moser ones for Jeeps run $345.

Well, now he's asked for more money, so much in fact that the total would be twice what the Moser Jeep axles run.  He also asked that I send the money via PayPal "friends and family," which I said I would not do.

So, what's a reasonable price to pay for Moser AMC 20 one-piece axles for a car?  I'm not interested in naming the supplier at this point, but I will out them publicly if this is not taken care of to my satisfaction.

Thanks in advance,
Shawn

NOTE 1:  I do not want axles with ball bearings because I autocross, so the Dr. Diff axles to fit unmodified AMC 20 housings aren't an option.
NOTE 2:  I have already shipped the axles to Moser and they've received them.

Please elaborate.
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic