TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Oil change Question ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
javtopgun View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote javtopgun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Oil change Question ?
    Posted: Sep/20/2021 at 10:05pm
After listing all that , even to me it sounds like the car had way more miles .. but the pistons were all in great shape and rings ,, cam , the builder said was so good he kept to resell to a person who wants a cam to do a cheap rebuild along with the pistons rods and even the lifters  ,, so inside eng. was still in good shape so i would say it was mid milage car ! body and interior was great shape no dents no rust 1 paint job , underbody showed no major issue other than all bushings had bad dry rot that i replaced. All ! ??? 
1968 Javelin SSt 343ci semi restomod .
68-73 amx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 68-73 amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/20/2021 at 9:55pm
When you say new baffle , do you mean the thin sheet metal valley pan or do you mean the thicker factory baffle attached to the intake manifold ?
javtopgun View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote javtopgun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/20/2021 at 9:49pm
My original eng had 52,xx miles when i bought her .. and the front and rear mains leaked the eng pan leaked the trans pan leaked and both V/covers leaked along with the intake manifold  and 5ooo miles later the head gaskets leaked then blew . Why would i use any thing like the original parts on a rebuild ! just say'n . It was built to fail in a certian mount of time so you have to run out and buy a new one .. Tol's where poor and all seals were of inferior materials . Any one still using cork and rope seals , in my opinion , just ask'n  for trouble in 70 t miles . mine failed so early due to the lack of driving the car . 52,xxx miles in 50 years , less than 1000 per year , got bad rot in the seals . All the v/seats where all but gone .. still had the tops of them lol ... This eng , I HOPE , will go way behond 120,000 miles .. BUT you never know TILL you know !! SYN plays a part keeping ware to a min in my mind  . IF all go's well ... lol  
javtopgun View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote javtopgun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/20/2021 at 9:28pm
Well i get that gtoman but mine is not a 70's or 80's or even some early 90's rebuild , dont have rope seal mains in this rebuild . Now if i had the original eng. like i did up in till 5 months ago , id agree with no syn. oil . But why replace seals with basicly NOS ? todays main seals u can find are so much better ! Its like rebuilding your eng with 60's or 70's or even 80's parts . With a shelf life of 90 to 100 T miles ,  what pretty much the old school days produced 120,000 mile cars . Why build it failure ? I can guess how you know .. Seen some failures !! I get that if you got a high mileage original or used rope seal mains in a rebuild . But why when todays oils syn or other wise offer so much protection . Why limit what can protect so much internal to your eng ? Cant agree with using aniquated part today with all the world has to offer ! Example , i called Corbin and gave them mic specs of the crank and they made me special front and rear main seals , cost more but i guess time will tell what the failure mode will be .   
gtoman_us View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gtoman_us Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/20/2021 at 7:42pm
Synthetic isn’t for all seals.  Rope rear mains will leak.  Ask me how I know.
Moderator - Emeritus

Used to collect trophies, now I collect gas receipts and put on miles

1964 Rambler Ambassador Cross Country Wagon
1965 GTO
1931 Model A original survivor
"Flat Roofs are Cool"
javtopgun View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote javtopgun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/20/2021 at 5:59pm
Why no syn .. For real all or should i say everything your puting into a rebuilt eng. is todays metals and tec . not 50 year old metals and lower tolorances ,  except the block it self ... i now see that tol's have tighten with what your putting in an old but reconditioned block .. So again tell me y a syn oil should not be used .. every things tighter so a real thick oil moving slower and having issues moving under a bearing that has a tighter tol.  should NOT be used ? My mind is open ! 
javtopgun View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote javtopgun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/20/2021 at 5:48pm
i have become a believer in oil psi as of late.. and have fallen for the thinner oils with high psi as thinner will move more quickly thru the system and has less trouble moving under bearings .. As long as it has a high psi .. Tho high heat tends to create thinner oils to move out faster from under bearings during shut down , keeping off the race during running is more important and i think a zink additive helps keep the thinner high psi oils more committed to staying under bearings .  Came to this after a lot of thread i have read since being on this Forum ! just browsed a artical about a new Q/state 5/30 with over 170,000 psi at 230 degree's running temp and tests at 275 degree's being over 140,000 psi ! Making a believer of ME !!  
bikerfox View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bikerfox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/16/2021 at 12:17am
Scott--I've used 20/50 for years with no ill effects.  Might want
to try that if you're concerned about heat.  Would recommend
non-synthetic oil, btw.  But, that's another story.....
1969 Rebel SST (1970-1987)
1968 AMX (2005-2011)
1969 SC/Rambler (2011-2019)
1970 Javelin (2019 to ?)"Jane"
javtopgun View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote javtopgun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/15/2021 at 4:46pm
!0/4 Good Buddy ... Thanks all and ill move on .. Going for a ride !! lol  This thread seems to have served it purpose !! Any moderator can close !
amcguru View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote amcguru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/15/2021 at 4:23pm
40 weight oil is plenty thick for a mild gasoline v8.  New diesel's stress oil much harder than your 343.  

NAMDRA #3646

"I believe the best social program is a job" ~ Ronald Reagan
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic