TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Legendary Interior Tan color question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amc-rookie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Legendary Interior Tan color question
    Posted: Jul/21/2021 at 1:34pm
Looking to source seat and carpet in tan - anyone have experience with the color - is it accurate to original? My '68 AMX is in no condition to offer a comparison.
Also, do they have the door panels - it didn't show up under tan.

Thanks,
Dave
Project finally underway $$$! near-basket case 1968 AMX #2789 was 290/auto will be 343/auto

Son's car 1968 Javelin 6cyl/3 speed
bigbad69 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbad69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2021 at 2:19pm
The door panels they sell are for 69 - the difference is the wood grain rectangle for 69 vs the arrow for 68. If that detail is not important to you, the 69 panels will work. The 69 beige may not be quite the same shade as the 68 tan, but the panels could be sprayed with the proper colour.
69 Javelin SST BBO 390 T10
madams View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2021 at 5:45pm
The only place I have seen the door panels with the Arrow is SMS Auto Fabrics.  I have had some on order for 6-9 months.  They did warn me about the long lead time and claim they are on the shop floor now.  Hopefully will see how they turn out soon.  Was on the fence about buying them and they came across with like a 20% discount and I couldn't resist.  I think they normally go for about $700 pair.  You have to send in your metal parts at the top from your old door panels.
amc-rookie View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amc-rookie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2021 at 6:22pm
madams, do you expect the color to match your other interior parts? wondering if the interior colors have 'standards' like paint codes, or if tan can mean different things to different vendors.
Project finally underway $$$! near-basket case 1968 AMX #2789 was 290/auto will be 343/auto

Son's car 1968 Javelin 6cyl/3 speed
madams View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2021 at 8:23pm
Go to their website and request a color sample and they will mail you around 1" x 2" material samples of the fabrics they use.  I have a black interior which seems to be much easier to match so I expect it to match pretty well.  I have never bought anything from SMS before, so I really can't say how satisfied I will be until the goods show up.

RandyB View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RandyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2021 at 10:27am
I got Legendary A pillars and door panels for my 73 Charger and they match perfectly, not only the color, but also the patern in the vinyl.
Randy B
68 Javelin SST 343
73 Charger Rallye 340 triple Blk
Steve_P View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2021 at 3:15pm
I got samples from Legendary for 68 tan maybe 5 years ago and the color match was good, but the ventilair vinyl pattern was nothing like OE.  It was like a "close approximation" without doing it right.  This may have all changed since then, so call or email and ask for samples.  At that time I also requested material samples from SMS and it was exact.  Again, call or email them.

The 69 saddle is much darker and nothing like the 68 tan.  Well, it's a closer match than black, but that's about it.
javtopgun View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote javtopgun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/04/2021 at 8:08pm
I have a 68 Jav sst  for the most part HAD all original interior but the way the factory combined tan and saddle and a lighter saddle ( glove box vs upper dash over glove box and the center dash down stands ) with the gold carpet and the drivers dash vs the slight darker shade gauge sourround trim  vs the light beige seat skins and mine had a 3 tone green strip seat skin inserts in cloth . Well it to me was all over the place ( NO semitry at all ) . I changed the carpet to a coco brown dye painted the center dash ( speaker cover ) coco brown and that little trim peace over the S/column coco brown added a mini truck console box to the end of the floor console , painted coco brown and added some vinyl trim strips to the seat stiching front and back seats and door panel and replaced the seat inserts with coco brown horizontal slate vinyl .  Now i have semitry .  The poit im getting to , unless your going for BONE stock , Get creative and bring that interior into a more moderen look but still keeping all the original or most of the original interior .  Id pic it for you but i dont have 30 posts yet 
sweatlock View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/05/2021 at 5:14am
Go by the photos of the original interior taken at that time - there are sales brochures for ‘68 and specifically AMX on eBay that show that it wasn’t that varied when it was new. Yes, there are some shading differences between the various pieces, but there’s also no accounting for 50+ years of time, wear & sun and how it affects the colour of different plastics, vinyls, etc. Plus there’s no guarantee that all of the interior parts in your car are original to the car or are from the same year - AMC changed up the interior from ‘68 to ‘69 and went from tan to saddle tan and yes, there is a difference.

As far as making it more “modern-looking”, I personally like the different shades of a stock tan or saddle tan interior since I feel that they complement one another. I think it’s that people are not used to any other colours for an interior other than dark grey, light grey or tan, if they can even get the latter. My wife’s 2019 Honda has the ubiquitous modern grey interior and I can identify at least 5 different shades of grey (not 50 though, lol), so it’s not an old outdated concept. 

Edited by sweatlock - Aug/05/2021 at 7:42am
Steve_P View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/05/2021 at 7:15am
The car in the AMX story had the entire dash painted so that it matches and would look better for the brochure color photos.  They didn't look like that in reality.  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic