TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Match balance a 390 flywheel

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deans69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2021 at 8:24am
These would be comments from someone who has nothing to add to the issue. I can see why Tony doesn't waste his time on here, lol. 
Deans69 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deans69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2021 at 8:39am
Originally posted by brownspirit brownspirit wrote:

You bought it from the guy with the BBO amx on YouTube that currently has an LS3 in it?  I would tear it down, have it blananced and look it over for issues.  Just because someone spends a lot of money on high end parts like a Indy oil pump, doesn’t mean it was built correctly.  To me, it’s more of a red flag than a sign not to worry.  If you don’t have the time or abilities, bring it to an engine shop.  At the very least pull the pan and check for Mallory.  You know what they say, if you don’t have the time to do it right, you don’t have the time to do it twice.  Andy

I thought about that, but the guy who's attached to the Ebay account is Tim Magdaz. Since I have to pull the trans out anyways I was going to pull the motor and pan to look for mallory. I'll just go from there with whatever I see. It's a combination of getting tired of throwing money and time at this project. So if I see anything negative It's just going to sit for another couple years. When I was younger I'd probably hound dog this, but this car isn't high on the list of project cars, and unlike a lot of users on here I'm not 100% devoted to AMC. I have 2 C10s, a 55 Tbird, 55 Dodge, this Javelin, and my XJ. That's a lot of information to juggle. So retard comments from the peanut gallery show a lack of professionalism or knowledge on the subject. Just another troll that needs to be taken out back, not talking about you. 
Slate View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2021 at 8:41am
Tony is pretty knowledgeable and can probably help to a point - but like someone else suggested getting some key visuals
will help him help you. Andre Jacobs is another one I’d reach out to. Southwest AMC near San Antonio.

Steve
brownspirit View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brownspirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2021 at 8:50am
We all understand, car projects can take a lot out of you, but 6PakBee is no troll.  He may not have been saying things you wanted to hear, but he was trying to help.  A local guy here went through the same thing with his 360, it shakes and he hasn’t been ablble to enjoy the car because of it.  It’s a gamble, I know he wishes he’d taken his apart but you may have better luck.  
69' BBB AMX 390/4-speed

69' s/crambler project

69’ International F210d Cummins/5+4
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2021 at 9:12am
Originally posted by Deans69 Deans69 wrote:

Uh yea, it was running in the previous owners car. Are you dense? I guess you can't read. 

So how did it run in the previous owners car?  This is not a trick question.

Let me elaborate.  The question started out as: "Can a stock 390 flywheel be bolted to an unknown 390 engine?"  Maybe.  If this was 1969 and you brought your car to the dealership for a new clutch and the flywheel was toast, what would they do?  Go to Parts, get a new flywheel, install it, and out the door you go.  How were they able to do that?  Because the rotating/reciprocating assembly was stock with known values.  Now in this particular case, if the crank is stock, the rods are stock, and the pistons are stock (or at least the same weight) there is no reason that a stock flywheel shouldn't work acceptably.  Without balancing, it won't be optimum but it should be acceptable.

But if the weight of anything in the rotating/reciprocating assembly has been changed from the stock weights, it's doubtful that engine performance is going to be acceptable.  Unless you know exactly what's in the engine you can't make this determination.  That is why I've been hammering on how did the engine perform previously?  If it ran like an out of balance washing machine, chances are it will do the same now.  If it ran acceptably, duplicate the previous flywheel (flexplate) arrangement and you should be good.  If this information is not known and can't be gotten, then it's either disassemble the engine and balance or try to balance it on a run stand.

Don't laugh, I saw a guy do this once.  Set the engine in a run stand, set a can of water on the intake manifold, and started bolting down washer stacks at the pressure plate locations.  Kept changing the amount of weight and the locations to get minimum ripples in the water.  IIRC it took a couple days but he got it.  I told him them it would have been better and faster just to disassemble and balance but when some people get an idea in their head.....

Edited by 6PakBee - Jul/22/2021 at 10:24am
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
BassBoat View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BassBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2021 at 11:12am
Before you tear into it, at least look carefully at the harmonic balancer.  If it is neutral, then some increased probability that a neutral flywheel will work.  Be careful to remember that flywheels come with two different size and style of crank register for 390 engines.  

Deans69 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deans69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2021 at 3:38pm
For those who actually have knowledge to pass on and offered advice I appreciate it. For the rest, thanks for reminding me how this hobby attracts a lot of cockroaches. Aaron Kaufman, Tony Z and Andre down here in San Antonio have reached out to help so I think between the 4 of us we can come up with a solution. Funny, they all said the same thing, stay off the forums, lol. 
Midnight Rambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Midnight Rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/23/2021 at 8:02am

For those who actually have knowledge to pass on and offered advice I appreciate it. For the rest, thanks for reminding me how this hobby attracts a lot of cockroaches. Aaron Kaufman, Tony Z and Andre down here in San Antonio have reached out to help so I think between the 4 of us we can come up with a solution. Funny, they all said the same thing, stay off the forums, lol. 

Just don't underestimate the impact of the flywheel or flexplate being even a tick off balance.  The original flexplate on my 290 got a crack in the ring gear.  Just the tiny space from the crack threw the balance off enough that a vibration would start just under 40mph and increase to a hard shake by the time it got to 55mph.  There was no other indication of the crack, zero symptoms or issues starting, shifting, driving.  The flex was replaced with a proper used one and the issue disappeared immediately...without doing any balancing on it. 

'66 American 440 Convertible 290/M-40/AMC 20 3.15/PS/PB
'04 Jeep Wrangler X Rocky Mountain Edition 4.0 5sp
Heavy 488 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Heavy 488 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/23/2021 at 8:03am

Funny, they all said the same thing, stay off the forums, lol. 
Like there's a fat chance in satans heck you'd give up a free advertising space.
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/23/2021 at 10:21am
Well, given that "Aaron Kaufman, Tony Z and Andre down here in San Antonio have reached out to help so I think between the 4 of us we can come up with a solution.", I will be extremely interested in what "solution" they come up with that hasn't already been mentioned in this thread.  There are only so many ways to skin this cat and I think all of them have been covered.  But what do I know.  Been doing this for over 50 years and am only a cockroach. 

But I have a prediction, when the solution is found, and it is one that has already been covered in this thread, the OP will never post it.  He won't be able to admit that some of us were right all along.
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic