TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Basic AMC V8 Rebuild by SC397

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote mbwicz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/04/2021 at 5:51am
javtopgun,
  You may be better off starting a new thread in this section of the forum.  This  is a 'how to' guide for assembling an engine.  More people may read and respond to your thread, giving you more help.
  I have read that its fairly common for a cam to be tight in the bearings, its not good if your builder didn't check this or the valve train geometry.  There is likely not much you can do other than have someone else check over your engine.  

Mike
1970 AMX, one step forward, one step back. Both steps cost time and money.
SC397 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote SC397 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/04/2021 at 8:13am
That is a good idea.
javtopgun, please copy and paste your posts in to a new thread and we will be happy to respond.
I am kinda hoping that the Moderators will let me clean this thread up and make it a sticky.
Thanks,  Rick
javtopgun View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote javtopgun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/04/2021 at 2:16pm
Yea can do , and understand , Only wish the builder of my motor would have paid attention to your thread on how can do ! Gonna put it out there . Never use Arizona AMC . I  learned my lesson !!!! Thanks guys !
javtopgun View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote javtopgun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/04/2021 at 2:18pm
Oh only problem is i dont know how to cut and paste in here !! lol Sorry !!
rgsauger View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rgsauger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/04/2021 at 9:19pm
Awesome thread and build, Rick.   Thank you so much for passing on your knowledge and experience to the guys that are coming behind you. 
TD121 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TD121 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/05/2021 at 5:44pm
This is pure GOLD! Thumbs UpThumbs Up  Thanks for all the tips!  Now how to copy this out and print it to have in my shop...  Big smile
TD121 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TD121 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/05/2021 at 5:54pm
SC397, Why do you braze the oil grooves on the cam gear (except for one)?
SC397 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC397 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/05/2022 at 7:17pm
The original factory timing gear didn't have any oil slots.  The high performance gear had the slots but were very shallow and about half as deep as the ones in the after market gear.  I braze them shut so that I don't have a reduction of oil pressure for the rest of the engine.  I leave the oil slot at the keyway slot open because the key blocks it and would not be too easy to clean up after it is brazed.
GearRework by Rick Jones, on Flickr

SC397 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC397 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2022 at 12:55pm
Sure wish a Moderator would make a sticky of this thread for us so that it is easier to find...
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2022 at 12:57pm
Originally posted by SC397 SC397 wrote:

Sure wish a Moderator would make a sticky of this thread for us so that it is easier to find...
  maybe send a PM to Kirkwood or Billd?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011>
  Share Topic