TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

No spark problem

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
troutwilly View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote troutwilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: No spark problem
    Posted: Jun/14/2021 at 10:58pm
I agree with the jumping the gun statement.  But we also don't know the history of the car, like was it sitting without being run for many years and now just trying to get it going again.
Even still, I would pull the plugs so it rotates easier and wrench it over that way.  I would also pull a valve cover and turn it over with the starter (plugs removed) to see if it gets oil into the top end. Oh wait, does it even have oil in it?  I've done that!  The starter ought to spin it rather freely with the plugs removed.  If it still squeals maybe you can pinpoint the noise....could be an accessory bearing (water pump, alternator, etc.).  Maybe a little WD down the plug holes.  I hate giving up.

Edited by troutwilly - Jun/14/2021 at 11:05pm
Bill O.
70 AMX
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/12/2021 at 8:21am
Sometimes a little more troubleshooting now saves a lot of grief later.

(I should write fortune cookie sayings.  Hmm.........)
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/11/2021 at 10:57pm
The part were you don't know the motor compression, the tool they were using, or strength of the individual. A 3/8" breaker bar may be very difficult for a 40 year old person.
I was cleaning 304 heads today, and 10 or so years ago they were easy to toss around. Not any more!
I'm not as strong as I used to be and recognize it.
My 86 year old neighbor was trying to crawl into the back of his F150 from a plastic Coke bottle box today. I brought over my step stool. If he fell it would likely end his driving and change his final years forever.
I don't know the circumstances of not turning over this engine. But jumping to a rebuild without testing why seems like "jumping the gun" to me.

Heavy 488 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy 488 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/11/2021 at 9:19pm
Which part is jumping the gun when he says it's difficult to turn with a breaker bar? Does he need a longer bar?
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/11/2021 at 8:48pm
Jumping the gun?
With all the engine cranking and having a bad electrical connection. Test the battery and then the starting motor before thinking the engine needs overhaul. Do a leak down and oil pressure test before jumping into an overhaul.
Just my opinion. $250 vs $3000 to $4000+ - definitely worth investing the $250 first. Even IF you decide the other car is better, yours will sell for a lot more if running.

Edited by Trader - Jun/11/2021 at 8:52pm
bigbad69 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbad69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/11/2021 at 8:45pm
Originally posted by Uncle Ishy Uncle Ishy wrote:

Or on the downside the car will be put up for sale lol The engine shop gave me a $3, 000 to $4,000 estimate to rebuild the motor to stock and believe it or not I found a '74 AMC AMX that's 2 mi from my house for $6,500 runs drives and has a decent paint job on it yet lol decisions decisions decisions you all have a great day
I agree with others, a $3-4k engine rebuild sounds low. You may get hit with extra costs, or you may get a pig in a poke.

Some enjoy the journey as much, or more, than the destination. Others just want to get there. If you are keen on a project, keep the car and rebuild the engine, but you will likely be throwing more than 3-4k at it. If you just want a cool car to buzz around in, ditch the project and buy the AMX down the road. (assuming minimal problems with it)
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/11/2021 at 8:20pm
$3K to $4K for an engine rebuild sounds to cheap IMO. I'll bet it it comes out higher than that. $6K sounds about right.

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
sweatlock View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/11/2021 at 8:16pm
$3K to $4K for an engine rebuild is not bad, assuming the shop is familiar with AMC V8’s and has done a few. I paid over $6K for a stock rebuild and there’s still some things I need to do it. 
Uncle Ishy View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uncle Ishy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/11/2021 at 5:23pm
Or on the downside the car will be put up for sale lol The engine shop gave me a $3, 000 to $4,000 estimate to rebuild the motor to stock and believe it or not I found a '74 AMC AMX that's 2 mi from my house for $6,500 runs drives and has a decent paint job on it yet lol decisions decisions decisions you all have a great day
Uncle Ishy View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uncle Ishy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/11/2021 at 5:19pm
Thank you everybody for responding to the post I eventually found a bad wire now have correct spark correct voltage and crank but still cranks over very very slow I did find a bad neutral safety switch in the floor shifter now it turns over with the ignition without having to jump it at the starter solenoid bad news is is the lower end is bad squeaks really bad doesn't turn over fast enough to fire the car cannot turn it over by hand with a breaker bar so the motor is going to be pulled out and rebuilt from the ground up thank you again all for your replies
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic