TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Wheel options AMC Rebel

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/08/2021 at 5:00pm
Well if they are going to be picky, try just this article:
ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/08/2021 at 9:08pm
I mentioned the spacer, not adapter, because I think the Magnum 500 MAY not bolt flat against your brake drum (assuming you have 4-wheel drum brakes). I know they would not bolt up to my '74 Hornet 9" front brake drums without a spacer (and they were a factory option for my car.) So check carefully. Stock brake drums have a balance weight, and that may be the fitment issue.

Good luck.
74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
flat3ric View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flat3ric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/08/2021 at 11:40pm
Hi ramblinrev,
Thanks for this hint withh the spacer. In case i would need it, can you recommend a source where i can buy this spacer or a manufacurer/articlenumber?

Hi trader,
Also big thanks to you regarding the mag500 article. I guess that this will help!

I will let you know!

Have a good day!
Eric 
ambassador401 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ambassador401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/09/2021 at 2:28am
Amc used 1/4" factory spacers in the front with mag wheels (magnum 500) on the cars with disc brakes
68 American
68 Rebel
70 Javelin
71 Ambassador
73 Gremlin
A bunch of Jeeps
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/09/2021 at 7:15am
The spacers were also on "some" drum brake Javelin's and AMX's. Don't believe they were required if putting the Magnum 500 rims on other models.
Here is a thread with pictures of the spacers and spindles in question. Using the thicker spindle may be a better option if trying to get past an inspection as these spacers did not have part numbers:
I know I have used 4 heavy washers instead of the "unobtanium" spacer on the thinner spindles. From a mechanical point of view the washers are just as good of solution as there is only the contact area of the 4 spindle mount points. The rest of the spacer material just adds weight.
flat3ric View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flat3ric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2021 at 4:42pm
Finally i got the „new“ mag500. It seems so far ok, but on the front wheel I guess the distance to the tie rods 3-5 mm. I guess i would,need at least spacer at the front.
Can anyone of you advice?
Because the wheels look awesome

Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2021 at 4:58pm
The image on page 2 of my previous post shows what AMC did to get extra room for the Magnum 500 wheels (believe this was for disk brakes also). Later they made a thicker wheel spindle.
If you take the four 7/16" bolts out that hold the spindle on and use thick washers between the spindle 10.004-1 and it's mount 10.013, you get extra room for the rims.

69 AMX Steering Knuckle - The AMC Forum - Page 1
flat3ric View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flat3ric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2021 at 11:44pm
H there,
Thanks. I will check that!
Regards eric
flat3ric View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flat3ric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/22/2021 at 2:09pm
Hi Trader, I checked your proposal with a friend of mine and we came to the conclusion, that this is not allowed here in Germany. So I have to search for another solution. Now I also learned that its not allowed to mount alloy wheel spacers on steel wheels like the mags : (
I searched the www for wheel spacers in steel in 5x4,5" with a 2,75" (70mm) center bore.
Does perhaps anyone of you have such wheel spacers in steel in the app. 0,39" thickness?
There was mentioned from Ambassador401 that "AMC used 1/4" factory spacers in the front with mag wheels". 
Does anyone know where to buy those?
I hope that I will find a way to ride these wheels on my rebel because they look really awesome on it!
Thanks for any hints/offers from you to finalize my project : )
Have a good day!
Regards Eric
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/22/2021 at 3:51pm
Hard to find anything over 1/8" in steel. Don't know your situation for auto wreckers, but a pair of slip on rotors for a Ford from something in the 80's with the outside cut off would likely work. AMC did not give these parts identification numbers so even a machine shop could fabricate exactly what you want.
These people will make what you want:
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic