TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

‘66 Rambler classic 232 opinion needed

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Itschrisb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2021 at 9:37am
I’ve decided to go with some Valvoline  VR1 synthetic 20w50 and will change it every 2000-3000 miles for the time being. 
Heavy 488 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy 488 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2021 at 9:54am
Whatever works
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2021 at 10:24am
I'll ask what I referred to earlier. Do you have oil at the front rockers, as seen through the oil filler cap hole?
Itschrisb View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Itschrisb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/01/2021 at 9:56am
I haven’t been near the car in a week so I haven’t been able to check or do anything. 
Itschrisb View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Itschrisb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/06/2021 at 3:05pm
Originally posted by vinny vinny wrote:

I'll ask what I referred to earlier. Do you have oil at the front rockers, as seen through the oil filler cap hole?

From the looks of it there is oil at the front rocker when looking through the oil cap.
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/07/2021 at 6:40am
Well that's good. That shows that you have flow to the rocker shaft which could have been a problem on the early engines.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/09/2021 at 7:11am
I'd check it and do the mod even if it looks good. Won't hurt, and will keep oil flowing to the rocker shaft. I don't know if AMC made that passage larger in later years or not.

I wouldn't be afraid to run 20W50 oil in warm weather, but not in cold. You can always mix the oil, like three quarts of 20W50 with two quarts of 10W30. I've run it in an old engine the other way around (2 of 20W50) year round. The additives in the oil control viscosity, mixing weights (or brands) isn't an issue.

Edited by farna - Jun/09/2021 at 7:16am
Frank Swygert
Itschrisb View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Itschrisb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/09/2021 at 4:25pm
So just for the heck of it I tried a new oil pressure gauge and sure enough it’s the same. The weird thing is is the pressure reading is sluggish. Like it takes a minute to build pressure and then the changes in PSI aren’t smooth like I’ve seen in other cars. The exact same gauge in my Toyota pickup had instant response. So if both gauges I’ve tried are behaving correctly that means the engine itself is sluggish in building and maintaining pressure. Which would lead me to believe that the oil pump is tired or the oil passages are possible sludged up. I’m not going to completely rule out worn internals on the engine but I’d think even if that were the main cause for the low idle oil pressure then it would at least still build pressure instantly and consistently. 
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/09/2021 at 6:08pm
On some 232's they need an oil filter with a working anti-drain back valve. Mine on a 67 engine would clatter like crazy on start up when using Wix 51258 or Napa 1258 filters. Another fellow using the same filters didn't seem to have the problem but his 232 was newer. 

If you spin off the filter and lay it on the side no oil should drain out of the outside holes. The filter should stay relatively full. When I removed the Wix or Napa filters oil would gush out of the outside holes.

I've had good luck with the Purolator L30005 and Delco filters. Heck, even the Fram ph11 filters have a working anti-drain back valve.

Edited by vinny - Jun/09/2021 at 6:20pm
Itschrisb View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Itschrisb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/09/2021 at 7:51pm
Originally posted by vinny vinny wrote:

On some 232's they need an oil filter with a working anti-drain back valve. Mine on a 67 engine would clatter like crazy on start up when using Wix 51258 or Napa 1258 filters. Another fellow using the same filters didn't seem to have the problem but his 232 was newer. 

If you spin off the filter and lay it on the side no oil should drain out of the outside holes. The filter should stay relatively full. When I removed the Wix or Napa filters oil would gush out of the outside holes.

I've had good luck with the Purolator L30005 and Delco filters. Heck, even the Fram ph11 filters have a working anti-drain back valve.

Hmm that’s interesting to know about the WIX, I specifically switched to WIX under the impression they’re some of the best filters out there. Pep boys has that Purolator in stock, I’m going to grab one tomorrow and throw it on. I’ll report back.

To note though since changing to the Valvoline VR1 20w50 and Wix Filter the engine is noticeably quieter and only clatters on start up but it doesn’t last nearly as long as it used to. It’s been hot here too 95 degrees the past few days and even with it being that hot and sitting in traffic the oil pressure doesn’t drop low enough to cause clattering like it did before.

I also did some reading and it does seem that in general these old 232s like to clatter especially on initial start ups. Ill be curious to see about changing filters if it helps anymore.

Edited by Itschrisb - Jun/09/2021 at 8:23pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic