TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - '70½ BBG Gremlin begins it's journey to rebirth
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

'70½ BBG Gremlin begins it's journey to rebirth

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 12>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Fluffy73 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fluffy73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/30/2021 at 7:56pm
Front End is all apart:

Learned we actually DO have a local sandblaster/powdercoater.... so, gonna give them a call on Monday.  All ball joints are out now.  Considering paying the $200+ for a bushing tool....

Drum Brakes are pre-assembled and ready to go back on.

Rebuilt upper door hinges.

One rebuilt lower and one "good, used" lower.  That'll go on the passenger side. Big smile  Doesn't that fresh paint look nice??? Cool

Edited by Fluffy73 - Apr/30/2021 at 7:58pm
I am genetically incapable of being Politically Correct.
hassyfoto View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hassyfoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2021 at 2:55am
Thumbs Up
Murphy's Law:
Any given mechanical job you decide to solve alone will imminently require a third hand, at its most critical moment

Fluffy73 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fluffy73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2021 at 5:02am
A buddy brought over his welder and got the broken bolt out of the upper door hinge area. So, once I finish up the brake master cylinder install, I'll get the door back on with new hinges!! (Yay!)

Steering parts all cleaned, painted, lubed and ready to go.

Did the sway bar, too!  Decided not to have it powdercoated.

Found this really nice, thick, supposedly rust-preventative paint at a local hardware store.  I've painted the sway bar, the backs of the spindles and anywhere that doesn't need to be big bad green.  These aprons got scrubbed of any flakey stuff, rust-arrested and then covered in this paint. Supposed to be the next best thing to POR-15.

And this is all ready to go to the powder coaters next Friday.  This pic was the same pic I sent him and yes, the bushings have all been driven out now.  Just waiting for Powdercoater dude to come back from his vacation.

Fluffy73 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fluffy73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2021 at 5:13am
It's funny.... even if the car doesn't get painted, I've still managed to deal with a few of the issues that annoyed me about this car and why I stopped driving it.

In 2018, I had the upholstery done.  Tony gave me some amazing front seat covers and I have a back seat made to match.  The fact that it's AMX-pattern and not Gremlin pattern means nothing to me.

Then in 2019, I sourced all the parts to rebuild my steering column so now the key-switch works like it should as does the steering lock.

I had reproduction door panels made a few years back, now waiting to be installed.

The front end is pretty much rebuilt at this point. I have all the parts I need, just have to wait for things to be blasted, coated and returned.  No more clunks, creaks or dead shock absorbers.

75% of door hinges are brand new. Door checks are working.  Years ago, a friend commented on the peculiar way I sit in a car and it wasn't until recently it came to me that none of my cars have working driver side door checks!

I'm excited. I really am.  If the car turns out half as good as my door hinges look in fresh paint, I'll be over the moon!  One more thing the body shop will address is the drivers' door window frame. The frame has actually separated from the rest of the door. I'm going to suggest we do what we did with my yellow Hornet and weld the upper frame to the door skin as well as it's usual spots.  My Hornet's doors close like a bank vault and I want to replicate that on the Gremlin as well.  Trying to make the most quality of Gremlins the.... Cadillac of Gremlins so to speak.
LakesideRamblin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakesideRamblin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2021 at 6:19pm
Looks great.  Very exciting.  Man, those door hinges can be a b**th to get off!!
LakesideRamblin
69 Rambler 360
73 Javelin 360
"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." T. Roosevelt
Fluffy73 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fluffy73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2021 at 8:11pm
Originally posted by LakesideRamblin LakesideRamblin wrote:

Looks great.  Very exciting.  Man, those door hinges can be a b**th to get off!!

Oh man.  The front end peeled without a single broken bolt.  First bolt I put wrench to on a door snapped off.  It wasn't from me putting the ugga-duggas to it, the bolt had actually rusted away and there wasn't much left clinging to life!!  A good buddy of mine came through with some new lower plates, I had a spare door side kicking around - but that upper one was giving me fits.  There's NO access from behind to take the plate out.  We went through a few nuts before that broken one finally came out!!

What a relief it was!

LakesideRamblin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakesideRamblin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2021 at 11:32pm
Wow, that's a pile of persistence! Thumbs Up
LakesideRamblin
69 Rambler 360
73 Javelin 360
"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." T. Roosevelt
Fluffy73 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fluffy73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2021 at 8:40pm
Driver door back on with new hinges, front wheel areas scrubbed down and rock guarding all touched up.

Passenger side wheel tub.

All boxed up, ready to go to the blaster/coaters.  Tomorrow's project will be to rebuild the carb.

Fluffy73 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fluffy73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/02/2021 at 7:46pm
Picked up this morning!

ccowx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccowx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/02/2021 at 7:50pm
That is going to be nice when it's done! 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 12>
  Share Topic