TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

T-10 Enhancements

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: T-10 Enhancements
    Posted: Apr/08/2021 at 3:55pm
I've been looking at ways to increase the torque capability of a stock T-10, specifically the 2.64 first gear variety.  I've read articles on:

1) cryo treatment
2) micro polishing
3) shot peening
4) glass beading

Has anyone tried any of these techniques on the weak link (input shaft/cluster gear) or have any thoughts on how effective they may or may not be?

Yeah, I know a Tremec would be the ultimate answer but I'm one of those anal purists.
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
mixed up View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mixed up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/09/2021 at 6:48am
liberty gear  might be the people to talk to they have been around a long time  like back to the 70s they also have large stash of old trans parts  
69 amx 290 auto
65 220 290 4spd
80 ford fairmont
bigbad69 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbad69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/09/2021 at 8:34am
The Super T-10 had a larger counter shaft, presumably to achieve what you are looking for. They were used in late 70s Camaros and Firebirds. Maybe an AMC bell and input shaft can be adapted? Maybe an original T-10 case can be machined to accept the larger counter shaft?

How pure do you wish to remain? A Super T-10 is still a T-10, but ...
69 Javelin SST BBO 390 T10
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/09/2021 at 8:58am
Originally posted by bigbad69 bigbad69 wrote:

The Super T-10 had a larger counter shaft, presumably to achieve what you are looking for. They were used in late 70s Camaros and Firebirds. Maybe an AMC bell and input shaft can be adapted? Maybe an original T-10 case can be machined to accept the larger counter shaft?

How pure do you wish to remain? A Super T-10 is still a T-10, but ...

Hmm.  That's a thought.
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/09/2021 at 9:30am
Your basically looking for the 9310 high nickel gears for your AMC transmission. They were out there 20 years ago but I don't see anyone making them aftermarket any more.
The GM Power Brute of 1979 is the same case as the AMC and it has parts still available.
This shop at one point did build up AMC T10's with the GM Power Brute 9310 gears but I don't know if they still do:
Think the person was Brian as memory serves.
You had to use the higher spline count clutch disk of the GM transmission, you did not need the complete clutch.
Maybe try giving some of these people listed on the web page a call:
This company lists the T10 1st 2nd and Super T10 parts. They may also be able to help:

Edited by Trader - Apr/09/2021 at 10:26am
Roechambeau View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roechambeau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2021 at 7:54pm
I found a lot of great info on rebuilding T10s and Muncies on
https://www.5speeds.com.

Great support on parts and has some very informative videos on YT(gearbox videos). If i had a question about what could be done, I’d give Paul a call. No affiliation, just a fan of expertise. 

Edited by Roechambeau - Apr/11/2021 at 9:51pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic