TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

CJ Headers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matty 401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CJ Headers
    Posted: Apr/08/2021 at 9:57am
has any body tried to use fender well headers off a CJ  on a small car  like a American ? 
72 matador 401 the beast
79 concord 2 door
72 matador 304 grasshopper
68 Rogue 406
93 Cherokee 4.0 5 speed

tufcj View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/08/2021 at 11:10am
I'd imaging they'd be way too wide, even for a full size car.  They don't fit tight to the engine like car headers.

Bob
tufcj
69 AMX
74 Javelin AMX
67 Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
you'll eventually pay for it...
and not have it.
Henry Ford
cw05 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cw05 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/08/2021 at 12:52pm
The 'fender well' headers for side pipes would be too wide.  I'm not sure about the other 'rear exit' style traditional headers.  

I'd like to know the opposite, has anyone tried the American Racing 1 3/4" headers for a small body AMC car on a Jeep CJ?
tufcj View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/08/2021 at 1:20pm
Too bad you're so far away.  I have a set of ARH small body headers I'd let you try.  For the price, I won't let them out of my sight though.  Smile

Bob
tufcj

69 AMX
74 Javelin AMX
67 Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
you'll eventually pay for it...
and not have it.
Henry Ford
mbwicz View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbwicz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/08/2021 at 1:30pm
Originally posted by cw05 cw05 wrote:

I'd like to know the opposite, has anyone tried the American Racing 1 3/4" headers for a small body AMC car on a Jeep CJ?

I would call ARH and see if they ever tried this. They were very helpful when I talked to them.

Mike
1970 AMX, one step forward, one step back. Both steps cost time and money.
Ken_Parkman View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken_Parkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/08/2021 at 2:41pm
I have a 69 Rambler and have a set of CJ fenerwell headers I use for dyno work. Way easier to fit on the dyno I use as that setup requires headers on backwards and the oil pump is in the way for regular headers.

I cannot imagine how they would fit on the Rambler - think it would be spectacularly bad. Assuming a race only application out the side of the body, but I think the exit would be inside the drivers footwell or the door or something. The headers are in at the dyno shop but out of curiosity I'll look and see what I think when I get a chance. Need to bring them home to check something anyhow.

Edited by Ken_Parkman - Apr/08/2021 at 2:44pm
75Cj5 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75Cj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/09/2021 at 8:07am
If I could post pics I would but I need a few more posts.  I can get you some measurements this evening if you would like... just let me know what you'd like to measure. I have the hedman long tube headers on my cj5.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic