TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

performance clutch 70 390

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonic Silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/08/2021 at 6:16pm
I agree with the last 2 posts. Lee (Have 2 sc's) suggested Centerforce to me a year or so ago, and that is the way to go. It's the absolute truth. Where have I heard that before?
ccowx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccowx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/08/2021 at 8:15pm
It's a bit like light beer vs dark! I like the heavy old school feel and fairly short throw, which I find a bit nicer for serious performance driving. Remember that part where I said for city driving I might make different choices? Last summer, due to Covid restrictions our club had some parade like events, and I won't do that again! On and off it for 2 hours got tiring, but I don't even notice in regular driving.

I have a good friend that swears by CF and has them in a whole collection of seriously nice cars. Matter of taste.

Your choice!

Chris
Red Devil View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/08/2021 at 8:24pm
I have a McLeod original Street-Twin with their Borg & Beck Long PP (their hybrid Borg & Beck with Long Style levers for quicker release and accepts counterweights to tune centrifugal assist).   Organic discs so not harsh, holds well, and pedal effort isn't bad ... not Honda Civic like ... but it's an old muscle car, not a Civic.   Also with an aluminum flywheel so revs quickly up and down, and a lumpy cam to match. 

Not a low cost setup ... but lots of fun for those spirited drives.

If it was a daily commuter in lots of stop-and-go, a diaphragm PP would be the way to go ... or if your clutch leg isn't what it was in your youth.  But if wanting an easy driving commuter, most would be selecting a modern car, truck or SUV with automatic ... not an old AMC.

Have heard of some issues with the counterweigths on the Centreforce, but most reviews seem positive.

Hope this helps,RD
ccowx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccowx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/08/2021 at 8:44pm
I wasn't going to say, but I have also heard of issues with counter weights sticking, mostly after long storage. If if was a daily driver that is likely not an issue, but for a car that is used infrequently it might be a consideration. Obviously CF is a quality product, but just like a B+B there can be trade-offs. Again, it comes down to what do you like. 

Chris 
mymark View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mymark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/08/2021 at 10:04pm
Thank you all for such great advice , I,m going with a stock set up for a nice gentle break in of the new engine . My brother ( Bad Bro ) recently installed a high end 2 post lift in his garage , so switching out set ups is no big deal anymore CF definitely is in the future .
Donohue
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic