TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Front Clunk, Crunch Noise Driving?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Front Clunk, Crunch Noise Driving?
    Posted: Apr/15/2021 at 11:29pm
If the car holds an alignment without the adjustments at their extremes, isn't excessively noisy, rides and handles OK, tires are wearing correctly -- no bald stripes, bad cupping -- you can probably defer rebuild until Bad Things Happen.

Balance that against the fact that when parts wear out all the way, rubber blown out of bushings, metal on metal, the rebuild job can be a lot harder to do! And cause damage to non-replacement parts that cause you do do a treasure hunt for unusual parts.

If its a daily driver, and if it's pushing 10 years since last done... probably best to do it "soon". Sunday or parades only? No hurry.... 

Personally, I'm mechanically demanding, aesthetically tolerant, YMMV! 

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/15/2021 at 5:10pm
I agree. It's probably due to be replaced, but if no noise or extra movement no hurry either. Just put it on the "need to do sort of soon" list...
Frank Swygert
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/15/2021 at 3:41pm
As Tom stated, rarely just one part. Glad you found the big noise, but that bushing looks like it's near end of life and the other side is likely not far behind.
Maybe enjoy the summer, collect parts, and do both sides this fall or winter. Best to do them all if you have the whole front suspension out.
RamblRumble_63_19 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RamblRumble_63_19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/15/2021 at 3:01pm
Well turns out the "big" noise problem seems to have been solved, went away with new front shocks! The old ones, wow, ever see a pair so crushed and dented that they are seized up? That's what I took off. I put new NAPA/Monroe and rides much better no noises that I can hear off other than the road. 

This bushing in the picture, should I still replace it? The arm there is still tight, no noise at all when up on the jack stands and move the wheel, or jack the wheel up. 

Originally posted by RamblRumble_63_19 RamblRumble_63_19 wrote:

Well I found something...this is the bushing on the lower drivers side near the crossmember. Laying underneath looking up. This seems like the Pivot Bushing? 
Not sure if this is the exact cause? but this would need replacing unless I'm missing something. Everything else is tight, nothing obvious yet. Hmm..? 

Unique gearhead, overcoming life's obstacles.
'63 Rambler Ambassador 880 Original. 327 61k miles.
Link=> https://garagehotrods.com/2020/10/16/joey-shelbys-63-amc-rambler-ambassador/
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/08/2021 at 12:18am
Generally speaking, it's rarely just one part that wears out. And it's so much trouble to disassemble, you don't want to do this twice... so expect to replace all of the bushings, upper and lower, on both sides, and the ball joint.

The good news is that the upper trunnion on that car will last two lifetimes. Disassemble, clean, lubricate, good to go.

If they were indeed replaced 4 years ago, either bad parts were used -- "NOS" parts should NOT be used when they contain rubber -- old robber is bad rubber -- or installed wrong, or some other problem. 

If you're sure it's just the lower arms, and the ball joints are good, they you can do the lower arm with the spring in place, just insert a piece of 2 x 4 in the upper arm's socket, jack the car.

Note that the strut rod is only "relaxed" when the car is sitting on the ground. If you jack it, adn the spring is extended, there's a lot of tension on the strut rod, and it's hard to get the two bolts out. Likewise on assembly. Last time I did it I got it loosely assembled, lowered the car to the ground, in "running stance", then installed the two bolts (strut to lower arm). 

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/07/2021 at 7:03am
If the strut rod bushings are good you've found your problem!!
Frank Swygert
RamblRumble_63_19 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RamblRumble_63_19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2021 at 10:58am
Well I found something...this is the bushing on the lower drivers side near the crossmember. Laying underneath looking up. This seems like the Pivot Bushing? 
Not sure if this is the exact cause? but this would need replacing unless I'm missing something. Everything else is tight, nothing obvious yet. Hmm..? 

Unique gearhead, overcoming life's obstacles.
'63 Rambler Ambassador 880 Original. 327 61k miles.
Link=> https://garagehotrods.com/2020/10/16/joey-shelbys-63-amc-rambler-ambassador/
Midnight Rambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Midnight Rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/05/2021 at 3:26pm
Originally posted by RamblRumble_63_19 RamblRumble_63_19 wrote:

Took the 63 Ambassador out driving to a local car show in nice weather this weekend. Noticed while driving at slow neighborhood speeds, over bumps, dips etc. the left drivers side front has a clunking crunching sound. What should I look for? 
Thinking might be bushings etc. ? Better to have a shop take a look? 

Stock suspension, brakes, past receipts show upper lower control arm bushings replaced within past 4 years. Have TSM, looking for thoughts, suggestions..
Thank you!

My American was like that when I lost an inner/upper bushing. 
itI replaced it, then the other side went.  I think the replacement piece being good simply put more force on the opposite side and made it fail faster.

Regardless, if it's bushings and bearings I'd just replace all of them at once and get it over with, especially if the frame is solid.  Otherwise they're 50+ year old parts and they'll just keep going one by one.

'66 American 440 Convertible 290/M-40/AMC 20 3.15/PS/PB
'04 Jeep Wrangler X Rocky Mountain Edition 4.0 5sp
mstrcrftr View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mstrcrftr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/05/2021 at 2:40pm
i dont know if you use salt there but ya might want to check the frame mounting points as well.
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/05/2021 at 1:41pm
Could be almost anything in the front wheel area.
Your looking for something loose or broken. Jack up the wheel and give it a good shake and twist. If that does not find something, remove the wheel, inspect everything and then use a piece of hardwood to pry things about to see if you find something loose or broken.
If it's not staring you in the face after this, take it to the garage.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic