TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

New wining harness recommendations

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elcam71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New wining harness recommendations
    Posted: Apr/01/2021 at 7:22pm
Who makes the best wiring harness for a 1970 AMX?
mbwicz View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbwicz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/01/2021 at 7:26pm
I got mine from M&H in california.  Took about 6 weeks.  I believe that is who makes them for APD and other vendors, but i'm not 100% sure.  Not cheap but very nice, seemed very accurate when compared to my original harness.

Mike

1970 AMX, one step forward, one step back. Both steps cost time and money.
Elcam71 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elcam71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/01/2021 at 7:27pm
Sounds good thanks for the advice
THE MENACE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THE MENACE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/01/2021 at 8:57pm
Originally posted by mbwicz mbwicz wrote:

I got mine from M&H in california.  Took about 6 weeks.  I believe that is who makes them for APD and other vendors, but i'm not 100% sure.  Not cheap but very nice, seemed very accurate when compared to my original harness.

Mike

X2 on M&H. 

Put one in my 70 AMX and have nothing negative to say. Great product. Everything fit and worked perfectly!! Great upgrade from the 50 year old wire harness. 

Dennis  
Former Owner of:
The Craig Breedlove "AERO AMX"

Still Owner:
SS/AMX #9 replica (THE BIG MENACE)
70 AMX 416, EFI, Nash 5 speed   
70 Javelin 401, 727 (Wife's)
72 Gremlin Autocross Project.
401MATCOUPE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401MATCOUPE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/02/2021 at 6:04am
M&H is the only way to go, American Parts Depot usually has stock and at same price direst from M&H.
Ross K. Peterson
68X,GoPac,343,AT,52A(1stCar)
68X,GoPac,390,4sp,52A
69X,GoPac,390,4sp,64A
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,87A,8
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,BBO,8
70 Jav SST,390,AT,BSO
74MatX,401,AT,Prototype
74MatX,401,AT
RandyB View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RandyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/02/2021 at 12:04pm
Just got one from M&H for my 68 Jav, had 3 wrong connectors on it
Randy B
68 Javelin SST 343
73 Charger Rallye 340 triple Blk
RandyB View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RandyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/02/2021 at 12:13pm
Also should note that I sent the a/c harness back, because the wire to the compressor was to short

Edited by RandyB - Apr/03/2021 at 12:37pm
Randy B
68 Javelin SST 343
73 Charger Rallye 340 triple Blk
sweatlock View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/02/2021 at 7:41pm
Just be aware that the M & H replacement harnesses do not have the same amount of vinyl wrap applied and the vinyl wrap that is applied is very thin. Back in the day there may have been a machine that wound the tape onto the original harnesses; now it’s probably done by hand and they’re trying to save on time/labour/materials. 

Also, the grey firewall grommet for the main harness was loose on the wiring and the material was very squishy/soft; go easy on pushing it through from the interior side or it will tear around the edge. The grey grommet on the original harness seems much more robust to last 50+ years and a tighter fit on the harness. 

Edited by sweatlock - Apr/03/2021 at 1:42pm
troutwilly View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote troutwilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/07/2021 at 12:33am
I think it also depends on if you're keeping the original fuse panel.
I was adding a lot of electrical components (A/C, fans, fuel injection, MSD, etc.) and went with a Painless setup that had more circuits.  The only thing I would change would be to go with a grommet type setup instead of a bulkhead type because the fuse panel could be mounted lower.
The M&H on an original fuse panel looks like it would be a much easier installation.
Bill O.
70 AMX
6768rogues View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6768rogues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/08/2021 at 3:57pm
I used Painless harnesses in 2 Ramblers and a Jeep with no problems at all.
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Located usually near Rochester, NY and sometimes central FL.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic