TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1964 AMC Rambler disc brake conversion

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1964 AMC Rambler disc brake conversion
    Posted: Nov/17/2022 at 8:13am
The only issue with the 76 disc brakes will be replacement rotors are a bit pricey when you need to replace them. Calipers are cheap -- Ford (and maybe others...) used the same Bendix calipers -- as are pads. Those are the "Big Bendix" brakes (75-78). Calipers are a bit thicker than later models and use a large A16/A17 bearing rather than the A2/A6 all other AMCs (drum and disc brakes) use. Those are the only four years the big bearings were used. All 75-76 models used the 3.1" piston caliper, 77-78 Matador/Pacer continued with the 3.1 caliper, 77-78 Concord/Spirit used a 2.6" piston caliper with a thinner rotor but the same big bearings as the big car. Rock Auto currently has 75-76 rotors marked as "not available", along with 75-78 big car. They do have the thinner 77-78 small car rotors, from $50-$160. The $50 rotors may not be correct -- they may be 79+ rotors, which are easier to find (and use the A2/A6 bearings).
Frank Swygert
rclaudio View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rclaudio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/15/2022 at 11:12am
drum brakes were bad ....so the bone yard 76 amc gremlin manuel disc brakes set fit perfect on my 1963 classic ....and work good and no pulling to either side as before....35.00 bucks all at the pic n pull. north texas car so zero rust/corrosion....now going to install the 9 inch original rambler classic my buddy had....all is a direct bolt in. will see.
rclaudio View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rclaudio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/15/2022 at 11:08am
Ok I found a Rambler classic 9 inch brake booster with the fire wall brackets, complete linkage  .looks to be  in very good condition/no rust ....then i found the bendix rebuilt kit in case i need it. was 141.00 bucks from ebay. looks like the booster is able to seperate/disassemble easy. I sent the booster pics to the guy and he said it will fit the 9 inch amc bendix booster...

should be a direct bolt on. gonna watch a u tube video to see hoe to test the booster for good diaphragm. 

Got all of next week off and thank god i have a car lift in garage at home. just took and went thru the amc 360 motor due to a bad lifter.....put it back in and motor runs perfect and zero oil leaks. wife happy. 
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/07/2022 at 5:59pm
You can probably use the booster from MPBrakes.com with the factory brackets. You need the booster for a 70 Torino. I don't know if the booster they sell separately (https://www.mpbrakes.com/pc_product_detail.asp?key=8154CF1A41094478AC96C6D6226A2E84&catid=EA17335EF224414C9C7A4048C935ECF0) will work. Note the pushrod. It's made to go through the firewall and connect to the pedal directly. I'd call and tell them you need a 70 Torino style booster for a street rod. If you tell them it's for an AMC they will tell you they don't have any AMC parts... legal issues.

I have a Ford Ranger booster on mine, using original Rambler brackets (off a 64 Classic with drum brake booster). When the original booster failed I modified a junkyard Ranger booster. I had to cut the pushrod off an weld on an end for the bellcrank on the Rambler bracket. I used a nut the right size. I cut the pushrod to match the original booster length then wrapped damp cloths around the booster seal and rod to keep it from getting too hot. It worked... still works. The Ranger booster is small and doesn't provide a lot of boost, but I have no trouble with it. It's between manual brakes and what the factory 64 booster was -- lightly boosted brakes. With discs all around it will lock all four wheels, but that takes a lot of foot pressure!
Frank Swygert
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/05/2022 at 10:05am
I won't bother about putting discs on the 64 Classic. I did upgrade it a bit some years ago by putting on brakes from a 66 Ambassador. I remember I had to use the spindles from the 66 as well which had the thicker flanges and the drums were 10" rather than 9". I also don't see the need for a booster at this time, maybe with discs I would. The car barely does 500 miles a year so got to keep some gas cycling through the still original tank.

For people using these cars quite regularly I think the upgrades you are doing are well worth it. Mine still gets just as good or better fuel mileage as a Volvo with a 3.2L.
Buzzman72 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buzzman72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/05/2022 at 8:33am
Once you have 30 posts you can post photos.
Buzzman72...void where prohibited, your mileage may vary, objects in mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.
rclaudio View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rclaudio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/04/2022 at 2:00pm
Thanks I got a 67 marlin booster used assy. with wall mounting bracket with all the hardware. My question is can i just bring this assembly to summit and just swap out the complete booster assy with a new oneand use the wall bracket of course? also i put the 1976 gremlin manual disc brake system and it works good but a little hard to stop from a fast point. so adding a booster should help. and the rear end i have a ford ranger early style with drum brakes.

how can i post a picture of my rambler on this site. Thanks

1963 rambler with a nicely built amc 360 and a novak jeep 700 r4 transmission adapter. all works great. 
i got this rambler 25 yrs ago and paid 100.00 cash. still got the trader times ad. 

some one on craiglist was giving boxes of rambler stuff away and i got the complete Triunion front suspension all new now. what a difference and very quite now.
6768rogues View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6768rogues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/02/2022 at 9:40am
Rotors for those brakes have come and gone more times than I can remember. Sometimes they are obsolete and not available, then they suddenly appear at Rock or Amazon, then they disappear again for a while.
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Located usually near Rochester, NY and sometimes central FL.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/02/2022 at 7:39am
Any 63-66 big car setup will fit for sure. The 67-78 setup should work also as long as it has the stand-off bracket between the booster and firewall. You may have to adjust pushrod length if you use a 67-78 setup. The MP Brakes Ford Torino setup will work, you my have to adjust the bolt holes where the bracket bolts to the firewall a bit (I think it bolts right up -- others have used it), and you will have to adjust pushrod length.

One note: tell them it's for a 70 Ford Torino. If you tell them it's going on a Rambler for legal issues they will tell you they don't have any AMC/Rambler parts. If you tell them it's replacing a street rod part they may be okay with that -- that implies a customized car and apparently absolves them of any implied liability.

Adjusting the pushrod is really making a new one. Length is pretty easy to gauge. Install with the pushrod it comes with, then measure any difference with the brake pedal up. Pull it back off and make one to fit. The pushrod is a flat piece of steel -- just measure and drill holes in each end. If it's too long you will barely move the pedal before braking. That's better than too short -- which reduces braking power. Get a 3' length of flat bar (available from Lowe's/Home Depot/etc.) and make one the measured length and try it. If not enough pedal travel shorten by the amount of travel you want (before braking) and test in the driveway. The pedal shouldn't go to the floor (about 2" from when fully depressed), usually has 4-5" of travel total.
Frank Swygert
rclaudio View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rclaudio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/01/2022 at 11:40am
ohh the donor car was an early amc gremlin 1974/75 I think with manual disc brakes. I want a booster for faster braking power. 

360 motor has plenty of vacuum. very mild cam.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic