TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

4speed Back Up Switch

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Woodhull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 4speed Back Up Switch
    Posted: Mar/04/2021 at 2:09pm
I have had no luck , finding an answer to where the back up switch for a 68 T10 trans in an AMX goes to in the wiring harness. The TSM and the electrical schematic I bought refers to Autos but I don’t see a reference to the 4 Speed.  I don’t see any obvious connection, so if anyone has pictures or an easy explanation, that would be greatly appreciated. 
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/04/2021 at 6:36pm
The auto Green/Brown connector for the column was the same as the lead from the manual transmission switch.
The brown connects to the reverse lights and the green is the power feed from the ignition switch.
On the wiring diagram were it states "column shift", the print beside that in the bracket states "back-up switch std".

I assumed that your T10 has the reverse switch. The Hurst competition Plus shifter does not have a bracket for the reverse switch. You have to get creative then and fabricate a bracket to hold a switch.

Edited by Trader - Mar/04/2021 at 6:43pm
Woodhull View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Woodhull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/04/2021 at 6:45pm
Thanks Trader,  I will look for that lead, didn’t see it earlier, but will have a look again. It has to be there ?
Woodhull View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Woodhull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/05/2021 at 7:59am
Trader ,  I did figure it out.  It is actually a brown/brown w/tracer.... the green wire is separate with a closed circuit end.    Thanks for your info.
bigbad69 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbad69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/05/2021 at 8:14am
The brown/brown w/ tracer is for the reverse lights. There should be a harness to the shifter that plugs into this connector.

The green/green w/tracer is for the neutral safety switch. This switch isn't used on a manual trans car, so they put a shunt across the connector to disable the function.

69 Javelin SST BBO 390 T10
Steve_P View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/05/2021 at 9:07am
I don't think that's the correct cable for the 68 OE 4 speed shifter b/u switch.  The correct wiring uses bullet style connectors.
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/05/2021 at 10:25am
I just took out my old harness from the box, it was pretty much butchered in the engine compartment as the car came with a 305 Chev installed - sort of.
I believe bigbad69 is correct and this is the harness end of the connector:

bigbad69 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbad69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/05/2021 at 11:44am
To clarify, I quoted the 69 TSM, though I have found the 68 & 69 wiring is very similar. The 70 wiring has many differences.

I have the Hurst shifter in my Javelin rather than the AMC (often called Ford) shifter. I don't believe the under dash harness would be different, but the shifter harness might be.
69 Javelin SST BBO 390 T10
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/05/2021 at 12:21pm
I just put in the new 5 speed and the original wires were green and brown at the transmission, just like the TSM wiring diagram. I also had a hard time years ago on the new wiring harness finding the connector but your post tweaked some grey matter so I checked the old harness.
I also checked under the dash this morning and the green/brown wires connect to the same brown/brown-white as on the original harness.
I have a 1969 AMC Hurst shifter and 4 speed that has the bracket for the reverse switch. It's different from the Hurst Competition Plus shifter that I also have. It does not have the reverse switch bracket. They both have the same bolt pattern to bolt to the transmission. I believe the Competition Plus I have is the aftermarket or dealer install version.
Steve_P View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/09/2021 at 11:03am
Ok, sorry I misunderstood....  The harness end that goes into the switch has the female bullet connectors.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic