TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

A Brisk 36 HP

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69 ambassador 390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/09/2021 at 8:42pm
I used to sell auto parts for a living.  Every once in a while, Monroe shock absorbers would have a contest for sales people.  I could win trips or other prizes.  The sales literature and training stated that the Monroe Comfort select or some such thing, would out perform a competitors shock absorber by 50% when the comparison sample was tested with one shock 75% degraded.  I was supposed to tell customers about the 30% better braking and 50% better handling as compared to the same degraded test sample.  Needless to say, I never won a damn thing.  I couldn't bring myself to spew that crap to my customers.  They used to print that crap rite on the carton too.

Steve Brown

Algonac, Mi.

69 Ambassador sst 390

84 Grand Wagoneer

69 Cougar XR7

65 Fairlaine 500XL

79 F-350 Super Camper Special

69 ambassador 390 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69 ambassador 390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/09/2021 at 8:46pm
Originally posted by Hurst390 Hurst390 wrote:

Originally posted by 69 ambassador 390 69 ambassador 390 wrote:

Originally posted by Boris Badanov Boris Badanov wrote:

All due respects but the impedance (ohms) means
precisely nothing as long as the fire is being 
lit at all RPMs and loads .

Exactly correct.  Only people who don't understand how an ignition system works will buy into this crap.  I just had a points ignition on my scope the other day.  I found a bad condenser and fixed that.  Had her putting out close to 15Kv with a great pattern.  Yes, 15Kv, with a 40Kv coil.  To test the reserve, I pumped up the secondary resistance and got her to put out 42Kv.  The ignition had ample reserves, but, still only needed 15Kv to ionize the spark column and less than 10Kv to keep the fire for 50 milliseconds burn time.  That was at idle, and as loads increase, so will voltages.  Point is, the highest output ignitions still will only put out a peak voltage that equals what is needed to ionize the gaps in the secondary side.  No more voltage rise will happen after the electrons start flowing.  If you reduce the secondary resistance, you can actually end up with a lower peak firing voltage and a shorter duration spark.  If your ignition is capable of supplying your engine with adequate spark, you will not gain anything from a higher performance upgrade.  You will be a little faster at the track because your wallet is lighter though.
Is this test at WOT with a full load?

Read the post. " That was at idle, and as loads increase, so will voltages.  Point is, the highest output ignitions still will only put out a peak voltage that equals what is needed to ionize the gaps in the secondary side.  No more voltage rise will happen after the electrons start flowing. "
Steve Brown

Algonac, Mi.

69 Ambassador sst 390

84 Grand Wagoneer

69 Cougar XR7

65 Fairlaine 500XL

79 F-350 Super Camper Special

Hurst390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hurst390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/10/2021 at 8:02am
Thanks for all the responses. I may try the combo on my Spirit this summer. I'll let you know if I can get 200mph
SC/Hurst Rambler

11.62 120

100% Street Legal
amxdreamer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxdreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/10/2021 at 10:43am
If they work in the Spirit maybe I'll get some for the cop car so I can catch Toyota Camrys :)
Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Badassador
AMO#10333
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
  Share Topic