TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

A Brisk 36 HP

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/08/2021 at 2:28am
Surface gap plugs are nothing new. Not much in the automotive world really is unless it involves ones and zeros. 

I'm a general believer in OE engineering. The engineers who designed our engines knew about plugs similar to those, and they would have used them if they made a worthwhile difference in performance, which means they probably don't.

Instead, the talented engineering staff at AMC designed their combustion chambers to work best with the spark plug they chose, or were assigned. Either way, it was the cheap old Champion N12Y. 
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
Buzzman72 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buzzman72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/08/2021 at 5:53am
Back in the day, we bought a copy of PERFORMANCE AMERICAN STYLE and ran the Champion N9Y or N10Y plugs like they recommended and were happy...once we replaced the carbon-core plug wires.
Buzzman72...void where prohibited, your mileage may vary, objects in mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/08/2021 at 6:49am
The plugs ARE NOT NEW. Someone sold a similar plug back in the 70s and early 80s as a plug for worn engines. The theory is that you have multiple paths for spark, so when one fouls another will pick up. I guess with everyone running some sort of high energy electronic ignition in competition that the multiple paths fire more than one at a time (maybe all?) and can ignite the mixture quicker/easier. If you have a brand new plug and good wires and ignition I don't see this making a noticeable increase in power. As you run the engine and maybe get a little fouling it might make a difference. Good solid core rather than carbon core wires are really all you need -- there hasn't been much change in copper wire tech in a hundred years! That's pretty much fixed, unless some new alloy has been come up with that conducts electricity better...
Frank Swygert
Hurst390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hurst390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/08/2021 at 8:19am
Originally posted by FSJunkie FSJunkie wrote:

Surface gap plugs are nothing new. Not much in the automotive world really is unless it involves ones and zeros. 

I'm a general believer in OE engineering. The engineers who designed our engines knew about plugs similar to those, and they would have used them if they made a worthwhile difference in performance, which means they probably don't.

Instead, the talented engineering staff at AMC designed their combustion chambers to work best with the spark plug they chose, or were assigned. Either way, it was the cheap old Champion N12Y. 
Champion plugs and bias ply tires! OE Engineering to the front!!
SC/Hurst Rambler

11.62 120

100% Street Legal
Hurst390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hurst390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/08/2021 at 8:26am
Originally posted by XJ6 XJ6 wrote:

I would think if they made 36hp in a crate engine they should make an additional 800hp in a Top Fuel motor?...I know that sounds extreme but it is equivalent in an 8000hp engine at roughly 10% gain assuming a 400 HP crate motor. Is there any top drag racers running these plugs? The Autolite conventional AR5383 is still king in top fuel 
I have never said the plugs make 36 HP. It is a combination of the wires and plugs. Lots of dyno work around the country on the sealed engine because they are sealed. So the users are trying to find an edge externally.
The info coming in from various people says everyone thats tried them has a gain. Tim Wilkerson uses the wires on his TFFC. 
SC/Hurst Rambler

11.62 120

100% Street Legal
Hurst390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hurst390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/08/2021 at 8:29am
Originally posted by Boris Badanov Boris Badanov wrote:

I remain suspicious of any gains from wires alone.

look at the difference of ohm resistance per foot. 
SC/Hurst Rambler

11.62 120

100% Street Legal
JGRANTAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRANTAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/08/2021 at 8:46am
 Back in the day some guys indexed spark plugs to make them all the same at optimum position and that would increase HP, so what happens to that theory when these miracle plugs are used? If the wires are holding back that much energy would it make more sense to just get a coil with more output to comp for it? I would think coil manufacturers would keep increasing the output if it made that much of a difference.

J
Heavy 488 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy 488 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/08/2021 at 9:43am
Go back to solid core wires like the 50's. Pull metal braid over them and ground the end like an old Vette to kill off RF. Should have all that magical horsepower back.
H60 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote H60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/08/2021 at 11:05am
I guess my hemi with 16 spark plugs would gain 72 HP? It doesn’t have wires so no gain there. I know sounds like trolling but just been reading where this was going. No harm or derogatory to anyone meant.
Mike 1968 Blazerblue 390,4sp AMX
Boris Badanov View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris Badanov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/08/2021 at 6:39pm
All due respects but the impedance (ohms) means
precisely nothing as long as the fire is being 
lit at all RPMs and loads .

So at the risk of being a nay sayer I remain unconvinced.

Oh yea I have to comment on a multi gap plug
and carbon fowling. Multi gap plugs were and I assume are still
common in air craft engines. If my experience if you fowl 
one gap, none of them arc / light. A short is a short.
That's primary reason why you have two mags and two plugs
in an airplane engine. 
Also having huge bores and long flame travel is another.
This is also why we perform a "mag drop test" before taking off.
Taking off with a stumble or exceeding the TO-1 RPM drop 
when you kill one mag is a big no-no.

Some huge piston engine prototypes had 8" + bores and stroke
and were equipped with up to 4 plugs (maybe more).

Gremlin Dreams
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic