TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

brakes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote locktight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: brakes
    Posted: Feb/22/2021 at 7:01pm
 i have no brakes and the brakes won't bleed.
no fluid coming out.  it's a 1963 rambler american 
straight 6 ohv. also i didn't try very hard but i could 
not get the front drums off any tricks ?

scott 
nickleone View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickleone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/22/2021 at 7:19pm
Master cylinder not working possibly.  Loosen the brake line at the MC, pump brake pedal. Does it squirt brake fluid? If yes there is an obstruction in the brake lines most likely at the rubber hoses.
Stuck drum, try backing off the adjuster there could be a ridge in the drum holding it.  Apply lube and large hammer to break the RUST bond if the adjuster does not help.

Nick

Edited by nickleone - Feb/22/2021 at 7:27pm
nick
401 71 Gremlin pro rally car sold
390 V8 SX/4 pro rally car sold
1962 Classic SW T5 4 wheel disc brakes
troutwilly View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote troutwilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/22/2021 at 8:01pm
If its not a master cylinder failure its probably the rubber brake lines between the steel lines and the wheel cylinders.  They collapse (swell up inside and close off) with age.

Disconnect the rubber line on the wheel cylinder side.  Check to see if you can get fluid to flow.  Then disconnect the rubber line on the frame side and see if you can get fluid to flow.  Keep disconnecting back towards the master cylinder until you get flow to find the stoppage.

If the rubber lines are old (10 yrs maybe, 20 yrs definitely) you might go ahead and replace them anyway to be safe. 
Bill O.
70 AMX
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/22/2021 at 11:19pm
Woah... back waaaay up. 

Was this working before you started? What work did you do? 

Why are you bleeding it? What's the history of your car (I mean pertinent to the task at hand.)

What is it you are trying to do? 

It's best to give too much info than not enough.

DO you have a factory technical service manual for this car? (WYOU REALLY SHOULD! Not a "Haynes" or whatever, thsey are useless).

What's your skill level? Have you done brake work before? 

We're all perfectly happy helping out newbies or old hands. It just helps to know up front.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

locktight View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote locktight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/23/2021 at 7:46am
 work was done by someone else at some point. just got car 
home  and trying to get it road worthy. used to do a lot of brakes
drum brakes as a kid. just haven't done any real brake work in a long time and the answers to the post are helpful to jog the memory.

thanks guys !!! 
tufcj View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/23/2021 at 8:00am
Front drums are swedged to the hub at the lug studs.   Remove the hub and drum by removing the bearing cap and nut.

I did a friends 1960 American.   It had been sitting over 10 years.  All of the wheel cylinders were frozen.   All of the brake shoes were good, so we replaced the 4 wheel cylinders.  Bleeding was a pain with the master cylinder on the frame (no gravity help).  Not sure yours is the same.  Keep working at it, eventually you'll get it done.

Bob
tufcj
69 AMX
74 Javelin AMX
67 Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
you'll eventually pay for it...
and not have it.
Henry Ford
Saskatoonsk View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saskatoonsk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/09/2021 at 4:04pm
1960 Rambler custom front brake hub problem . I ordered a set of  after market front brake drums and after installing them it seems that my original rims don't seem to fit right . the rear rims sit tight against the drum but the front sits about 3/8 of an in. away from the rim and I have over tighten nuts to suck in the rim to the drum. Any help or direction would be great . 
6768rogues View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6768rogues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/10/2021 at 10:58am
I would start at the wheels and work my way back through the system. It could be a variety of problems.
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Located usually near Rochester, NY and sometimes central FL.
1958 rambler super View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1958 rambler super Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/05/2022 at 1:31pm
I know no one is really caring about this thread anymore, but yes, while doing work on the 1958 rambler supers brake drums and repacking the front bearings, I noticed the rear brake drums come off right after you take the wheel off, the wheel is what holds the drum where its supposed to be, but, when I was trying to take off the front drums, I tried for ever doing all sorts of stuff, penetrating spray (didn't think it would do much) wacking it with a hammer in all sorts of diff spots to maybe lossen up some rust that was cementing it together,  it couldn't figure out hwo to get it off, and was almost going to rent a puller, and then my dad suggested to try taking off the castelated nut that holds the wheel bearing in, and it worked! I was a little ticked off things seemed so hard to figure out, but I was thinking the front drums must be the same as the rear drums, but that was not true, it's as clear as carrots to me now, always think twice before assuming things are the same. 

Edited by 1958 rambler super - Feb/05/2022 at 1:33pm
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/05/2022 at 9:10pm
Originally posted by Saskatoonsk Saskatoonsk wrote:

1960 Rambler custom front brake hub problem . I ordered a set of  after market front brake drums and after installing them it seems that my original rims don't seem to fit right . the rear rims sit tight against the drum but the front sits about 3/8 of an in. away from the rim and I have over tighten nuts to suck in the rim to the drum. Any help or direction would be great . 

Missed this...

You have the wrong drums. If you tightened the lug nuts to make the wheels touch the drums you may have ruined the wheels, I hope not. You cannot buy the drums you want, Raybestos 2500, from most parts stores. They are no longer made. Check with the AMC suppliers or brake specialty places. They will be about $100 each. 

Big automated parts sellers have suffered from "catalog collapse" where they have mashed unrelated "similar" but often wrong parts into one. They all use the same data so they all sell the same wrong parts.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic