TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

AMC 304 build youtube

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote XJ6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AMC 304 build youtube
    Posted: Feb/22/2021 at 2:53pm
Cant believe they painted the pan and intake red

Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/22/2021 at 3:48pm
If your going to all the expense of that build, why not bump up the SCR? At just 1 point higher they would be about 15% more power. They could have gone 2 points with aluminum heads and pump gas.
That and no button/nut/spacer on the oil pick-up, just measured?
No measuring on the oil pump clearance, or they just cut the boring stuff out of the video.
John's modified 304 stock heads he posted would likely make more power then notching the cylinders for the Edelbrock heads.
Maybe a California engine build, they were red.

Billyfrank360 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billyfrank360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/22/2021 at 3:59pm
Yup, definitely the California color, but I thought I read that was one year only in 72.

Glad to see they kept the 304.  They sure put a lot of money into it.  It looked to run good and the hp numbers were respectable.  

I thought maybe they goofed of compression as the 73 motors had larger combustion chambers than the Edelbrock, but I may have missed something.

Could have even worse.  They coulda put an LS in itDead

Cheers, 
Billy
jcisworthy View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcisworthy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/22/2021 at 4:24pm

This is the 304 i built with ported iron heads, 10:1 compression, 1.84 valves, around 230 cfm at the lift of the cam, heads peaked around 257 up high
Specializing in dyno services, engine building, and cylinder head porting

rbjracing.com
Phone Number 518-915-3203
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/22/2021 at 5:25pm
This post:

304 build, best pull, 381.8 TQ @ 3600, 363.3 HP @ 5500

Don't sell yourself short John. If you had that intake with the port injection, I believe there would be a little bit more to be had.

jcisworthy View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcisworthy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/22/2021 at 5:41pm
With a little more cam and a big enough bore for 2.02 valves, I'm confident that engine would have hit 400hp or more no problem
Specializing in dyno services, engine building, and cylinder head porting

rbjracing.com
Phone Number 518-915-3203
XJ6 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote XJ6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/22/2021 at 6:35pm
Originally posted by Billyfrank360 Billyfrank360 wrote:

Yup, definitely the California color, but I thought I read that was one year only in 72.

Glad to see they kept the 304.  They sure put a lot of money into it.  It looked to run good and the hp numbers were respectable.  

I thought maybe they goofed of compression as the 73 motors had larger combustion chambers than the Edelbrock, but I may have missed something.

Could have even worse.  They coulda put an LS in itDead

Cheers, 
Billy

That is not the California red color nor the IH color and I have owned both. My point was why ITH would you use a nice gold iridited aftermarket pan and just paint over it(and the ARP stainless hardware) that hideous parts store red. The whole build is a mishmash of parts that were given to them by sponsers with no real thought behind and lacks detail. Why bother with cast replacement pistons at that CR and that much in house machine work availability and with aluminum heads???? Now if they put a turbo or supercharger on it we might have seen a much more interesting result.
Billyfrank360 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billyfrank360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/22/2021 at 7:39pm
The red is so far away on my motor, that that looked close enough.   

The pan and intake definitely would have looked better raw.  I’m surprised the sponsors allowed them to be painted over.  All good points.  I still think that it’s great that they are showing some potential in the 304 and may save an AMC from losing theirs to brand B.  

Cheers, 
Billy
Ken_Parkman View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken_Parkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/22/2021 at 7:50pm
Looks like they got the PCV wrong, might be a oil smoke problem without the stock intake gasket
WhatISit View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote WhatISit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/22/2021 at 7:59pm
I'm just happy to see a big Youtube channel building a 304!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic