TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

AMC 304 build youtube

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
JGRANTAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRANTAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AMC 304 build youtube
    Posted: Feb/23/2021 at 7:07pm
I wonder if the red painted engine was to match the car?

J
White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/23/2021 at 4:53pm
I believe I read somewhere that next season they pulled the AMC engine and LSX'd it.
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
72gremx401 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72gremx401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/23/2021 at 4:16pm
I think they dropped the chev engine, because of the viewer response . It was 90% negative . like what was mentioned .
1972 gremlin x 401
232jav3sp View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 232jav3sp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/23/2021 at 6:42am
I felt that the build was done to showcase the sponsors' parts. Back when Detroit Muscle bought the car, it was going to get an LS engine. Now they changed their minds on the build of the entire car. What happened between purchase and this point?? Eddy Proflo 4. That being said, it was great for the AMC community having not only this 304, but also a 258, built on a show that reaches a lot of people.

As for the engine itself, it did twist 337hp at peak with a not-so optimized parts combo, so the average guy will probably find it great.  And, nearly 1.1hp per cube with that c/r, valves that are still shrouded, and a ridiculous set of shorty headers, is pretty darn good. But why, oh why, wouldn''t you run some custom forged pistons and do 10:1???  Running a nice roller cam and $4000 of Eddy parts only to short change the bottom end. Even on the chassis dyno Pat poked fun at it's rated 8.5:1, only to "achieve" 8.3:1 after rebuilding it.

Looking back at earlier episodes of Powernation shows, this is not an uncommon trend for the group as a whole. The Chevy 292 i6 for Trucks' project "Low-n-slow" had been built on Engine Power, used Offy intake, long tubes headers, lump ports added to the heads, custom ground cam, Holley blow through EFI and turbo'd. It made something like 380hp/490tq on 10.2lbs of boost. Impressive, yes, but they reused the stock rods and installed hyper pistons. Really?! Forged pistons and rods are readily available, and once they hit 10.2lbs of boost Pat was afraid to push it any further because, "we have hyper pistons and those rods were never intended for this power level". Good grief, you knew you were going to be boosting it!!!

Back in 2007, Trucks picked up a 454SS pickup and 1st gen Ford Lightning. The Lightning got a supercharger, and the 454SS got a complete Eddy Performer RPM top end, and their "Rollin' Thunder" cam. One of the hosts touted (iirc) "our compression ratio went from 8:1 to 9:1, with the Edelbrock parts". Sorry, bud, you don't get to boast about a compression bump at those numbers on the parts used, lol.

Forgive me from ranting, but these shows can be really frustrating. 
wrebelmachine View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wrebelmachine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/22/2021 at 11:14pm
In another episode the ended up putting a 427 lsx in the car. It was not well received by the comments.
BrotherBamc View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/22/2021 at 7:59pm
Originally posted by Ken_Parkman Ken_Parkman wrote:

Looks like they got the PCV wrong, might be a oil smoke problem without the stock intake gasket

That was my thoughts also. 
There is no valley pan gasket nor was there any PCV valve that I noticed. Plus no intake baffle either. 
I personally think that they should of bored the block for those big valve heads to fit. Instead of just notching.. Ouch
77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
2006 Dodge Magnum R/T AWD
My Garage
WhatISit View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote WhatISit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/22/2021 at 7:59pm
I'm just happy to see a big Youtube channel building a 304!
Ken_Parkman View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken_Parkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/22/2021 at 7:50pm
Looks like they got the PCV wrong, might be a oil smoke problem without the stock intake gasket
Billyfrank360 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billyfrank360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/22/2021 at 7:39pm
The red is so far away on my motor, that that looked close enough.   

The pan and intake definitely would have looked better raw.  I’m surprised the sponsors allowed them to be painted over.  All good points.  I still think that it’s great that they are showing some potential in the 304 and may save an AMC from losing theirs to brand B.  

Cheers, 
Billy
XJ6 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote XJ6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/22/2021 at 6:35pm
Originally posted by Billyfrank360 Billyfrank360 wrote:

Yup, definitely the California color, but I thought I read that was one year only in 72.

Glad to see they kept the 304.  They sure put a lot of money into it.  It looked to run good and the hp numbers were respectable.  

I thought maybe they goofed of compression as the 73 motors had larger combustion chambers than the Edelbrock, but I may have missed something.

Could have even worse.  They coulda put an LS in itDead

Cheers, 
Billy

That is not the California red color nor the IH color and I have owned both. My point was why ITH would you use a nice gold iridited aftermarket pan and just paint over it(and the ARP stainless hardware) that hideous parts store red. The whole build is a mishmash of parts that were given to them by sponsers with no real thought behind and lacks detail. Why bother with cast replacement pistons at that CR and that much in house machine work availability and with aluminum heads???? Now if they put a turbo or supercharger on it we might have seen a much more interesting result.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic