TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

BW T10 fill level

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Woodhull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BW T10 fill level
    Posted: Feb/21/2021 at 9:38am
  The TSM says it takes 3 1/2 pints of fluid, which if my math is correct is 56 oz, I got 38 oz before it was full,  what am I missing.  Does the car need to be lifted on the right side ? Any suggestions. Trans is newly rebuilt, no fluids in it . Thanks 
tufcj View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/21/2021 at 10:11am
Full to the bottom of the fill hole is all they take.   It should take more than just over a quart though.

Bob
tufcj

Edited by tufcj - Feb/21/2021 at 10:14am
69 AMX
74 Javelin AMX
67 Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
you'll eventually pay for it...
and not have it.
Henry Ford
Woodhull View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Woodhull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/21/2021 at 11:01am
Bob.  Thanks, that’s what it took, so I should be good.  Not sure why the manual says 3 1/2 pints.
6768rogues View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6768rogues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/21/2021 at 10:47pm
It is hard to believe that there could be an air pocket trapped anywhere but I would drive it and check it again just to be sure. Be informed that I am a compulsive checker.
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Located usually near Rochester, NY and sometimes central FL.
1948kaiser View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1948kaiser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/22/2021 at 5:57am
did you put any in the tail housing?
mbwicz View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbwicz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/22/2021 at 6:39am
On a related note, if the transmission is out of the car, should I put the recommended amount of lube in it before install, then allow the excess to drain once installed? Or will I lose it out the tailshaft like an automatic?

Thanks,
Mike
1970 AMX, one step forward, one step back. Both steps cost time and money.
Steve_P View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/22/2021 at 9:58am
it will drain out of the tailshaft unless you install a yoke.  I'd install then fill as it'll save you a potential smelly mess
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/22/2021 at 1:02pm
Wonder id the TSM in question has a typo.
0.35 US gallons = 1.4 US quarts = 46.6 oz US or 44 oz imperial.
A lot closer to what is typically installed.
Depending on the gears installed in the T10 the volume can be off a few oz either way.
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/22/2021 at 11:15pm
I think you're overthinking it.

With the car on the ground, fill it til it starts to dribble, then stop. Done. It's not a critical thing. There's no place for air to collect. Just clusters of gears on horizontal shafts.

I bought one of those cheapo pumps that's supposed to screw into some oil container, one I've never found. I use a 1 qt yogurt container, fill that, then pump. Yeah, it's a big mess. I see no reason to spend a lot of money or effort on jobs I spent about 15 minutes per year on.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

Goodtimes View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goodtimes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/23/2021 at 9:51am
The TSM states to fill the tail shaft cavity through the speedometer gear hole first, then fill main case on a dry transmission
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic