TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Upcoming Shows and Events
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Idea - AMC Homecoming alternative - RA July 15-18
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Idea - AMC Homecoming alternative - RA July 15-18 - Event Date: Jul/15/2021 - Jul/18/2021

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 343sharpstick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Idea - AMC Homecoming alternative - RA July 15-18
    Posted: Feb/11/2021 at 1:23pm

I have an idea, I as well as many others am very disappointed that the AMC homecoming from July 27-31 is again canceled. Rather than just be bummed about it, let's get together anyway. There is an event two weeks earlier we could ALL attend!

Would there be interest in getting an event together in conjunction with the Road America Vintage Racing Event on July 15 to 18?

We can commemorate the first win by AMC Javelin in SCCA TransAm which occurred here on July 19, 1970. 51 Years Ago.

We can also commemorate 50 year anniversary of AMC winning the TA Championship. Penske/Donohue won here again on July 17, 1971!

https://www.roadamerica.com/weathertech-international-challenge-brian-redman

The Historic Trans Am group will be there. Last time that group was at Road America the Penske Javelin was there as well as one of the RWR Javelins.

http://www.historictransam.com/schedule.html

For those that have not been to Road America, to say the least, they have LOTS OF ROOM, so I’m sure if someone contacted the track they could do a few things to facilitate a gathering.

-        Food, Beverage, and bathrooms are readily available.

-        Luch-time track touring will also be available. Take your car out on the track for a few cold laps.

-        The roads and restaurants around that area of Wisconsin are outstanding to dive, and we could do a poker run, or something similar.

-        Hotels easily available.

-        Recreation. The village of Elkhart Lake is awesome, public beach, hiking trails available in the area.

-        Oh, and by the way, Amazing Vintage Cars on the track to watch and ogle in the paddock. There may even be AMC racing in the event, who knows?

-    On-Site Camping

I live near the track but I don’t have the time to organize the entire event, I could do some work on this however. If others would be willing to assist that would help get this off the ground.

Thoughts?

Michael

Edited by 343sharpstick - Feb/11/2021 at 2:23pm
amxdreamer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxdreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/11/2021 at 2:21pm
This would be awesome, if the border was open and I had holidays at that time... :(
Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Badassador
AMO#10333
bigbad69 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbad69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/11/2021 at 2:37pm
I don't see the border opening before the fall.
69 Javelin SST BBO 390 T10
343sharpstick View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 343sharpstick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/11/2021 at 2:48pm
Well, it's up to you guys to put together an event up in Canada.

The Penske/Donohue Javelin won there too at Circuit Mont-Tremblant, Quebec
Second race win was August 2, 1970.
The team won again the next year, August 1, 1971 the TA Championship season.
Get to work on that Wink
bigbad69 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbad69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/11/2021 at 2:57pm
Tremblant is a great track. One of my friends raced an Alfa there for many years.

I really don't see any big events happening here for some time. It may be a bust for car shows again this summer. Unhappy
69 Javelin SST BBO 390 T10
Goodtimes View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goodtimes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/11/2021 at 6:03pm
I seem to remember a few years back there was a small group of AMC cars near the gate #4 entrance to R.A. off of county highway J. It is on track corner #3. I do not know if another group has laid claim to that area (Corvette club). Might be worth checking out
Goodtimes View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goodtimes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/11/2021 at 6:20pm
I also remember back in 1971 the Milwaukee and surrounding AMC dealers had a picnic in the parking lot 2 off of the main gate on corner 14 during the Trans Am race.  
6768rogues View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6768rogues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/11/2021 at 7:52pm
As much as I want to go to Kenosha, nothing else will be worth going through Chicago.
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Located usually near Rochester, NY and sometimes central FL.
Roechambeau View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roechambeau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/11/2021 at 9:37pm
That would be cool. Planning on being there for the vintage racing already. My favorite spot is between turn 7&8 below the concession stand. 
Coloradoamx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coloradoamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/11/2021 at 10:21pm
Hmm..that sounds interesting.   I may have to consider that.  I would love to bring my car to Road America if only just to sit on the property.  I will be in Colorado Springs because it is so close for me, but the idea of meeting at RA is pretty compelling.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic