TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Flywheel

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
SC397 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC397 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Flywheel
    Posted: Jun/11/2021 at 9:47am
You are going to have a problem unless you bought one for a pre-1971 engine.
1966-1971 Flywheel counter bore to mount up to the flywheel is a slight press fit at about 4.496"
1972 and later flywheels have a 4.575" counter bore but indexes off of the raised flange.

IMG_3113 by Rick Jones, on Flickr

https://rebsamcandjeep.proboards.com/thread/585/amc-290-401-flywheels-flexplates?page=1&scrollTo=8862

What is the part number of the one that you ordered?

I think that you actually need the flywheel that is in this post.
https://theamcforum.com/forum/topic110997_post971018.html#971018

Edited by SC397 - Jun/11/2021 at 10:01am
timj5130@gmail.com View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timj5130@gmail.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/10/2021 at 9:27pm
It is a 343. I ended up getting mine at Jegs.  My engine builder is going to balance it . I’ll be able to hear it run on his dyno when I pick it up. 
Thanks to all of you for your advice!
Tim
SC397 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC397 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/10/2021 at 7:57am
For which engine?
mbwicz View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbwicz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/10/2021 at 6:23am
  If you are racing it, or planning high RPM's, you may want to consider a billet flywheel rather than a factory style cast one.  And think about if you want to maintain the external balance or go to neutral balance on the flywheel as well.  I believe that Ram and Centerforce have AMC flywheels, if you want to go billet.  I'm not sure about the cast options.
  For my car, a factory flywheel, magnafluxed and resurfaced, is what I went with.

Mike

1970 AMX, one step forward, one step back. Both steps cost time and money.
Ramzilla View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ramzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/09/2021 at 9:10pm
I got my flywheel for my SC Rambler at  American Performance in Florida neutral balance about $400 or so. Not many places that make them. Have to be custom made to order.
Larry
SC Rambler
timj5130@gmail.com View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timj5130@gmail.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/05/2021 at 7:30pm
What do you guys advise on getting a flywheel? Is the a difference from a place like Jegs or an AMX parts dealer- other than price?

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic