TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

258 - 4.0 cam swap

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrapdaddy Sr. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 258 - 4.0 cam swap
    Posted: Jun/03/2009 at 7:12pm
Hey Guy's I just picked up a brand new still sealed in the box COMP Cam for only $50.00.

The specs are:  262 duration with 4:47 lift and 112 lobe separation. This for a 258 but will it work in a 4.0?
Also will I need to change the valve spring with this lift in a 258 or can I run it with the stock 258 head until I can get hold of a 4.0 head for my 258?
poormansMACHINE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poormansMACHINE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/03/2009 at 7:31pm
I wouldn't run it with an old stock set of 258 springs, locks and retainers. 
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/03/2009 at 8:16pm

Fuel injection cams (4.0) and carb cams (stock 258) are typically different..... work but not really be effecient. So even if you put a 4.0 head on the 258, if you use the EFI, it won't be effecient for it, but a 4.0 with carb would be fine.

And what pmm said above...

AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poormansMACHINE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/03/2009 at 8:32pm
Forgot to ask, but new lifters with it?
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/03/2009 at 8:44pm
I've got some good used 4.0 lifters....
But you don't want 'em on a new cam.
Only new lifters on new cam.

Edited by billd - Jun/03/2009 at 8:45pm
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poormansMACHINE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/03/2009 at 8:51pm
Originally posted by billd billd wrote:

...........good used ..................

An oxymoronLOL
SIXPAK View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SIXPAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/03/2009 at 9:56pm
Usually the only difference between FI cams and Carb cams for the same given application are the FI cams typically use a wider lobe seperation. This is done to make the computer a bit happier by reducing overlap and having a stonger vac signal.
Sand is for Racing Asphalt is for getting there!
Scrapdaddy Sr. View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrapdaddy Sr. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/03/2009 at 10:25pm
Thanks to all!
The reason I asked about the working in a 258 as well as a 4.0 is I plan on installing a 4.0 in place of the 258 eventually and wanted use the cam in the 4.0(with new lifters again?) with a carb set up.
Stock 258 with 2 BBL = 110 HP  Stock 4.0 with carb = 185 - 195 HP on average, + Turbo with 12 lb boost 285 HP(estimated) 4.0 wins! 4.6 on boost really wins!! but that is later.
I plan on new lifters, timing set and now new springs and retainers.
 I'm assuming the idle will be a little lumpy due to the duration, lift and small overlap?
Oh.... Also cleaning up the ports a little while the head is off. I know it's probably futile to work on a 258 head but still going to clean it up some.
 Do you think a 500 CFM Holley 2BBL is to much or to little? Planning on having a machine shop mill out the ports of the intake(where the carb sits) to the same diameter as the Holley/ Motorcraft(?) ports. There is enough metal and room between the studs there to pull it off.

Edited by Scrapdaddy Sr. - Jun/03/2009 at 10:32pm
firefly View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firefly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/04/2009 at 6:06am
You can buy a transdapt adapter from summit to adapt the carb.for about 12 bucks.
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/04/2009 at 7:04am
A lot of Jeepers have put 2100's on their engines........... I had the adapter part number around somewhere, but 12-15 sounds about right. A nice looking adapter.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic