TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Manual brakes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
XJ6 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote XJ6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Manual brakes
    Posted: Jan/29/2021 at 1:04pm
For me it depends on the weight of the car. My small car has manual dics (4 wheel) and no worries. My big car went from power disc/drums to manual when I ran 2 4 barrels and a big cam (not enough vacuum) and that was scary even with a 11" disc up front. I switched cams and carbs and back to power and much happier. Same thing with power/manual steering on both cars as well. Small car manual, big car power
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/29/2021 at 12:30pm
Just a reminder, the pedal arm for manual vs power brakes are different. Some AMC's came with one arm that had 2 holes, upper for manual brakes, lower for power brakes. Just ensure you have the correct pedal arm for your application.
Your leg is providing the braking power and leverage is everything.
If wrong the results will be completely unsatisfactory, if not dangerous.
Joelfanti View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joelfanti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/29/2021 at 11:35am
Why did you go power to manual brakes just curious.  And I have manual brakes now and looking at the wilwood. Glad you posted it !!
343sharpstick View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 343sharpstick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/29/2021 at 10:49am
It did bolt directly to the firewall, no problem.
My car originally had power brakes, so I had to put together a pushrod using the rod that came with the Wilwood master and a rod-end bolted to the brake arm. 
Similar to this...

Edited by 343sharpstick - Jan/29/2021 at 10:51am
Joelfanti View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joelfanti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/29/2021 at 8:15am
Did the wilwood bolt right up without any mods ?? Stock pushrod and all worked fine ?
343sharpstick View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 343sharpstick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/21/2021 at 6:21pm
I have used two different versions of the wilwood 15/16 master cylinder, both work fine.

I recently changed out the master to the remote tank version to manage the fluid levels easier, and added the adjustable proportioning valve.

I had no proportioning valve on when I had the rear drum brakes, but with the new rear discs I needed to add more rear brake bias.

Edited by 343sharpstick - Jan/21/2021 at 6:29pm
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/21/2021 at 6:04pm
Originally posted by Heavy 488 Heavy 488 wrote:

Originally posted by Joelfanti Joelfanti wrote:

Anyone running manual disk front/ drum rear? How does it stop?
Mine stopped by pressing on the brake pedal.
LOL that’s to funny and it’s true!LOL

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/21/2021 at 5:59pm
Originally posted by Heavy 488 Heavy 488 wrote:

Originally posted by Joelfanti Joelfanti wrote:

Anyone running manual disk front/ drum rear? How does it stop?
Mine stopped by pressing on the brake pedal.
Good answer. And its true..  mine did the same thing
Joelfanti View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joelfanti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/21/2021 at 5:53pm
Good to know. Thanks everyone 
LakesideRamblin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakesideRamblin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/21/2021 at 5:36pm
I have manual discs on my 69 Rambler.  Wilwood kit up front and Ford 8.8 rear end.  Master cylinder is 15/16" as 343sharpstick mentioned.  Works great.  Manual steering as well.  Love it.
LakesideRamblin
69 Rambler 360
73 Javelin 360
"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." T. Roosevelt
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic