TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1964 American 440h Vent Window Weatherstrip

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinclas1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1964 American 440h Vent Window Weatherstrip
    Posted: Jan/21/2021 at 10:09am
Has anyone been successful in finding replacement weather stripping for American 440h vent windows? Mine are completely dried out and cracked..

Thank you,
Kevin
vinclas1 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinclas1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/24/2021 at 7:12am
Doesn't anyone make vent window weatherstripping? Is there another model that can be used in it's place? How about one from a Mustang, Falcoln, or Chevy II?
Have2SC's View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Have2SC's Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/24/2021 at 7:31am
No vent window weatherstrips are available at this time unless you can find NOS.  Rumor is they are going to be reproduced by our vendors but hard to tell when we will see them.  Lee
1971 SC360 Hornet 4 speed   1970 Javelin 390 4 speed "Base Model" 1967 Rambler 220 X code 343 4 speed
mixed up View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mixed up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/24/2021 at 8:57am
some one on here did a post on that i think it was Tom  if some one would like to chime in on this 
69 amx 290 auto
65 220 290 4spd
80 ford fairmont
raysinvegas View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote raysinvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/24/2021 at 12:18pm
They were available some years back, but the fitment was bad. I struggled to install them, and had to make a few well placed cuts to get them installed at all. Hopefully the next batch will be useable.
Andy Ray
64 440H
64 440 Convertible
68 Javelin SST 343
69 Javelin SST 343
69 SC/Rambler
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/24/2021 at 10:53pm
Is yours really ruined? Or just whistling and leaking? I'm lucky that my '68 American rubbers are 3 on a 1/5 scale, but thw whistling was driving me crazy. I found that most of the whistling was because the triangular window frame was badly misaligned, due to wear in the bottom pivot, which has a little friction clutch made from a spring and friction material and a washer. What happens is 50 years of use grinds the bearing surface away, the window drops down, slowly over the decades, such that the leading edge of th chromed frame no longer fits inside it's rubber.

Take the thing out (easy in 68s), clean it etc and shim it back up with thin washer(s). ALso once apart its a lot easier to clean, including the rubber.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

vinclas1 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinclas1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/25/2021 at 7:07am
Originally posted by tomj tomj wrote:

Is yours really ruined? Or just whistling and leaking? I'm lucky that my '68 American rubbers are 3 on a 1/5 scale, but thw whistling was driving me crazy. I found that most of the whistling was because the triangular window frame was badly misaligned, due to wear in the bottom pivot, which has a little friction clutch made from a spring and friction material and a washer. What happens is 50 years of use grinds the bearing surface away, the window drops down, slowly over the decades, such that the leading edge of th chromed frame no longer fits inside it's rubber.

Take the thing out (easy in 68s), clean it etc and shim it back up with thin washer(s). ALso once apart its a lot easier to clean, including the rubber.

Yes. Mine are that bad. Its been sitting in a shed for the past 26 years in Arizona. The seals are completely dried out. If I try to squeeze the seal, it literally crumbles and turns to dust. Worst comes to worst, I can seal the vent windows closed with a bead of silicone and then wait for reproductions to come out. 

Thank you,
Kevin
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/26/2021 at 7:36pm
if it will help you find parts at all, 63 and 64 classics have the same vent windows as 64-69 Americans.  Don't know about the later classics though.  I plan make such a substitution here an home this week.

Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
Cricket View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cricket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/26/2021 at 7:44pm
Originally posted by pacerman pacerman wrote:

if it will help you find parts at all, 63 and 64 classics have the same vent windows as 64-69 Americans.  Don't know about the later classics though.  I plan make such a substitution here an home this week.

Joe

63-66 Classics, Ambassadors, and Marlins are the same.
vinclas1 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinclas1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/28/2021 at 6:59am
Originally posted by Cricket Cricket wrote:

Originally posted by pacerman pacerman wrote:

Joe

63-66 Classics, Ambassadors, and Marlins are the same.

Well that certainly expands the search quite a bit. Thank you for the input.

Kevin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic