TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Manual Steering Box Rebuild

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rambleman65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Manual Steering Box Rebuild
    Posted: Jan/11/2021 at 11:05pm
Does anyone know of anyone who could rebuild a manual steering box for a 65 American 440 Sedan? Mine has some play in the output shaft and im thinking about getting it rebuilt. Also, would i gain anything by tightening the bolt on top? I know i have to be careful not to bind it.
6768rogues View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6768rogues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/11/2021 at 11:16pm
I think that model has the shaft in the column as part of the box without any rag joint. Am I correct?
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Located usually near Rochester, NY and sometimes central FL.
LakesideRamblin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakesideRamblin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/11/2021 at 11:58pm
I used these guys for a manual steering gear box on my 69 Rambler.  Excellent quality.  Possible good comparison for you before you pull the trigger on anyone.

LakesideRamblin
69 Rambler 360
73 Javelin 360
"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." T. Roosevelt
RobinPDX View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobinPDX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2021 at 12:43am
Might be a long shot here, In Portland, Oregon is a race that does a lot of GM steering pieces and pumps etc.

http://www.prosteering.com

or 

https://redheadsteeringgears.com

or

https://landcruisernw.com

or

paden drivetrain
8948 NE Killingsworth St, Portland, OR 97220
Rob Wiley
990V8 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 990V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2021 at 8:45am
On my 63 Ambo with 68,000 miles, the manual steering box had play. I was able to adjust out pretty well all of it with the locknut on top.
So it's worth trying.
As you say, avoid binding. Jack the car up, and adjust it so it just doesn't bind on full lock.

My box still leaks, but since I put steam cylinder oil in it (SAE1000), it leaks very slowly.

Ivor
63 Canadian Ambo 990 V8 327
Lightweight V8 SIII
Shopping Trolley
First_Gear View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote First_Gear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2021 at 10:48am
I just ripped my box apart. The pitman shaft gear and the worm rack were damaged from corrosion. Fortunately a member had some good used parts. The grease in there is probably really bad. Mine was awful. Resembled more wax than lubricant. The screw on the top is for adjusting the play but if you adjust it too far you can damage the gear box. The best way to adjust it is to pop the pitman arm off the drag link center the steering wheel and jiggle it. Adjust screw for least amount of jiggle. When the wheel is turned there is more play so it is important to make sure it is dead centered during adjustment. It might be a good idea to put some gear oil in there to help make the grease greasy again. 
390amx1 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 390amx1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2021 at 11:45am
69 BBB 390 Tremec 5-speed AMX #13584 since 1978 (166,000 miles)
08 Zo6 Corvette
22 Ram 1500
24 CT5-V Blackwing #317
Yamaha Supercharged Jet Ski's
990V8 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 990V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2021 at 1:50pm
I couldn't believe it when I first learned the box had grease in. I suppose it was OK when it left the factory 57 years ago.
The steering was very heavy when I got the car. After I lubed the box with oil, much better.

First I put EP90 in it, it ran out.
Then EP140, it ran out.
Then steam cylinder oil.  It also runs out, but like a glacier.
I can live with that.

There is always more play when the box is at dead centre, because that's where it mostly is when driving so that's where it wears. That's why the adjustment needs to be made or at least checked with the box at full lock. If all the play is taken out at dead centre, on lock it will, errm, lock up.

Ivor
63 Canadian Ambo 990 V8 327
Lightweight V8 SIII
Shopping Trolley
1948kaiser View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1948kaiser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/13/2021 at 6:26am
borgeson at 860 482 8283.
Steve_P View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/13/2021 at 1:21pm
This has been discussed before, but a thin grease is correct.  Search for info.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic