TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - "1958 Rambler Super" mission fix it and drive it.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

"1958 Rambler Super" mission fix it and drive it.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 35>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "1958 Rambler Super" mission fix it and drive it.
    Posted: Mar/04/2024 at 8:31am
More than likely one of the arms is bent slightly. As noted, I have that problem with one, but the trunnion will move, though it binds slightly. I can't move the trunnion directly by hand, but I can move it with the steering knuckle (upright) screwed in for a little leverage. Then it moves freely enough, but that one cap is a little loose in the arm, so I'll attempt to tighten the hole in the arm than of course will tack weld it.

The inner arm mount really doesn't matter, whether bar or in the crossmember. Keeping the arms at the correct distance (at least very close to it) might if assembling the trunnion on the bench instead of with the arms in the car. Tom spells out how to check the arms for being bent on his site. I don't think mine are bad enough to bother with that, but you might want to.
Frank Swygert
1958 rambler super View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1958 rambler super Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/02/2024 at 9:12pm
 When you say the shock shouldn't move freely on the spacers,  do yiu meen the spacer that's also being referred to as the inner sleeve which is two pieces?
 If so, then no, it's not moving freely, the two pieces of the bushing and two pieces of the sleeve are firmly together, and when in between the two arms, it's also firmly in place, and I wasn't able to mkve it by hand, and had to use tomj's method of knocking it out with a block of wood. 

Since last post on my project page, the shock not descending problem has been undone, by manner of opinion from a member letting me know when under weight of the car it will move back down, my concern was not that it wouldn't, but that it would gradually become damaged.
Well see I ges. 

So, the boys have helped me take steps with advice on the sequence for putting things back together, long story, but right now the caps have been put back on to the trunnions thread studs and the arms are jammed back into place, but the caps might not be on old threads, and trunnion is binded up real good.

Now, I have some massive text to copy paste here for displaying my deduction on the matter...

With what tomj most recently said about the space the stiffner occupies between the arms after the shock and stiffner have been removed... 

"If it's a tenth of an inch or more too small, something's wrong and it has to come apart and get reassembled."

My ruler does not have increments of 10th on an inch, it has 32's, 64's and 16th's...
Maybe I was confused when looking at the feeler gauge I had out with me at the time... and looked at the . 10 feeler piece... And thought this is what a 10th of an inch is, which now that I think about it, it's got to be way smaller then what 10th of an inch actually is. 

When the shock and stiffner which is 1 inch and 17/32's of an inch, is Inbetween the arms which have a space of 1 inch and 15/32's the shock is in there real tight, because the stiffner is wider then that space. 
That explains why it's tight in there, but, I wonder what the explaination is that the trunnion is so tight when the shock and stiffner is out... 

Maybe the arms weren't as solidly held in place when I had them in the cross member with the bolts simply passing through the arms... Maybe I should have tightened down those eccentric bolts to hold the arms in place, maybe farna and tomj didn't know that.... 

Maybe one of the arms got moved either forward or backward during the step of wrenching on the caps and that's why the trunnion is all clenched up with the caps... 

After all... Tomj and farna have experience with the pivot bar type of suspension, but with this type of suspension construction they do not, in regards to how their experience involves the pivot bar, and has nothing to do with the cross member cavity.... 

This could be a good deduction, 
and I think, maybe, I should take it apart and start again, seeing if the arms are bent, making sure the bolts are tight first, and maybe after its all done and in a better state of final assembly then I could loosen the eccentric bolts a bit, and after the wheels are on the ground, then tighten them. 

Edited by 1958 rambler super - Mar/03/2024 at 11:05am
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/25/2024 at 5:42pm
It looks okay. You might just need to loosen the shock bolt a bit and tighten it up after the wheels are on the ground, like the inner bushing bolts. The bushings might be compressing a bit when you tighten it fully. The bushing is in two pieces, correct? You might shorten on half by about 1/16-1/8" and see if that helps. The shock shouldn't move freely on the lower spacers, but you should be able to move the shock on it by hand without an exceptional amount of force.
Frank Swygert
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1958 rambler super Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/25/2024 at 1:03pm
Ok, lots of new progress with the suspension reassembly, the new shock is presenting new problems at every step of the way, first I had trouble with the lower mount not having the same dimensions and inner sleeve interfacing with control arms properly for rigidity issue, which I tried to get around by putting the old sleeve with its proper dimensions into the new shocks lower mount, but had to resort to a polyurethane bushing that I reduced with a cylindrical bore as well as the ID of the eye of the new shock. 

Last night I put the caps back onto the lower trunnion, had to use a pipe and gain leverage for the wrenching effort. 

now the shock is binding when its tightened into the arms which is stalling the susp reassembly... And I think maybe this shock is too thin, and maybe the tightening of its lower mount is bending or twisting the shock which is causing it to bind. 
Looking into an article, I read that the angle of the shock shouldn't be over 20-30 degrees, or it will bind, but the shocks angle should be fine, so some other factor is the cause of the problem. 

Edited by 1958 rambler super - Feb/25/2024 at 1:15pm
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1958 rambler super Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/10/2024 at 9:28am

Ok, last weekend I spent maybe six or more hours one the sat working towards fabricating with the skills and equip I have to make this 18g sheet metal piece to weld back in that hole I cut out of the firewall fender area that had rust and bad welding repairs by me.

I got it all made up and sized up to fit well, then wanted to call it a day since I didn't want to weld it in there in the dark, but I thought about it and decided since it wasn't raining at the time, and since the guy who lives upstairs had already done his laundry and was done with the dryer and wouldn't use it again, which stops me from being able to use the 30amp socket to power my welder...

I decided to weld it in in the dark while I could, with good weather and no Luandry boy, the guy does laundry two days in the weekend like a girl.... It's annoying... One day should be enough to use the dryer wtf...
Anyways, I put up with unpleasantness and welded it in. 

But Steve from blaser auto suggested I wait untill he can get in touch with his supplier to replace the shock that I got from him that was bad before I buy the new ebrake cable... So that's why I have to wait untill I get it in the mail, set it up and cut the new hole for the grommet and cable to pass through that new piece of firewall.
I the mean time I'll reassemble the suspension and put the spring back in and put the brakes back together. 
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1958 rambler super Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/29/2024 at 7:40am
The cheers to being a survivor thing... I'm still here... My freind isn't, it's strange... 
Me and Adrian and another freind named Dave all used to hang out together, about eight years ago when Dave was not even half way through his 30's he got into a car crash one morning on the way to work, he was speeding and drove his car over some black ice and the car went out of control and over the grass dividing the four lanes or highway going in opposite directions and hit a big truck head on... 

Adrian died on Dec 3rd in Hawaii.. 

Now when I think about those times we had, I think strange thoughts about how I'm the only one that's left... 

and it's a strange and lonely feeling... But there is for some reason a feeling like I've survived life somehow... 

Edited by 1958 rambler super - Jan/29/2024 at 7:47am
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/28/2024 at 4:24pm
Glad you got to work on the car again, sorry about your friend!
Frank Swygert
PAGAENT View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PAGAENT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/27/2024 at 9:57pm
Cheers for being a survivor! Memories and all.
Pat Gary
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1958 rambler super Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/27/2024 at 9:19pm
Ok, after the cold weather that was so cold I couldn't use my hands and after the snow fall we had and after a freinds funeral I went to I've fi ally gotten onto the work again... 

today I cleaned up threads for both trunnions and caps and put anti size on them, cleaned up some overspray on the spindle and resanded inside of the wheel cylinder with 600grit sandpaper and also the aluminum cups, and reassembled that wheel cyl and went out and bot another copper crusher washer for reassembly.

That freind of mine who died, his name was Adrian and I knew him for more then 35 years, and I just turned forty in November, so it's kind of a big deal. 
My family rented a basement suite from his family in the early 80's, and we went to the same day care when we were five. 
He was my first room mate, we worked together more then once and we had a friendship over many diff growing exp's in life. 
Through thick and thin, heartbreak and happiness, wealth and poverty, drugs and all... 
I was able to tell him things about myself and my life and things that had happened to me that I couldn't tell my own family. 
I think about him everday now, it's kinda of nice but also pretty sad. 
It's strange to wonder.... Why some people leave so soon and others keep waking up everyday... 

It's too bad he didn't pay me back that $18 just a little sooner. 

What is it that makes you strong? 
Is it the good food you eat? 
Yes. 
Is it the good choices you make with excersize? 
Yes. 
What is it that makes you strong? 

It's the people you know, and the people you remember. 

AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1958 rambler super Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/15/2024 at 10:13pm
Got new shocks in the mail, but one is bad, when I opened the box it was covered on oil, and wasn't hard to compress by hand, and didn't bounce back to full extsention at all, just stayed there.
The other one did though, and wasn't coated in oil, so I'm getting a return sorted out. 
They were made in mehico. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 35>
  Share Topic