TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Weld Through Primer?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rockAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/29/2020 at 4:34pm
Originally posted by 6t8amxetc 6t8amxetc wrote:

I just did all my 4 link brackets using this stuff. Seemed to weld nicer than the zinc type I used before. Spraying and drying were excellent also. Can't speak to the corrosion protection yet. Seems like nice stuff though!

Yup. Good stuff.
DWR
1968 AMX

70BBOAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70BBOAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/29/2020 at 6:47pm
I use the SEM copper weld with great results. The arc strikes nicely through it but as stated above the shelf life is not that long. Only buy what you will use in 6 months or so.
Cruzer View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cruzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/19/2022 at 11:42am
Iused Eastwood. Thumbs Up
1958 rambler super View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1958 rambler super Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/20/2022 at 12:06pm
I have a HUGE welding job on my 1958 rambler super, "the big car" (series 10), and have wondered how I was supposed to cover  the weld with primer and paint, when the other side of what I welded wasn't accessible anymore... (there's places in the front of the cars floor areas that are boxed, the floor your feet sit on are separated from the underside of the car by a hollow area, this has made it hard for me to primer and paint the welds on the interior of this area) I was just doing my best and using tremclad spray paint and noticed the paint was destroyed by the MIG heat, but didn't know what else to do, ubtill I saw this thread and learned about this wled through primer, I've done about twenty hours or more of welding the drivers side floor area already and it's basicly done, but am starting to think I should zip cut it all out and do it again using this paint to do my best to stop rust from happening.... Or I could start using the weld through primer now but leave what I've done for a few years.... The rust should be not advanced enough to cause a structural concern at that point.
JGRANTAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRANTAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/20/2022 at 1:28pm
 Since starting this thread I learned VHT #SP117 flat aluminum header paint silica ceramic coating works it's rated for 1300-2000f it holds up good.

J
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1958 rambler super Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/24/2022 at 10:59am
So even though it's not the primer, it still was a good product to use before welding? I bought some, but saw it wasn't primer and wondered if I should return it and find the same product but the primer....but if you didn't use the primer and all's well.... Also, I had a experience yesterday with a troublesome spray can of clear coat I was using, my valve cover was rusting and a simple sanding and priming job turned into a very extensive sanding job followed by a clear coat, when I was using the spray can of clear coat, it clogged after the first coat was almost finished, it was a huge pita moment, I was so pissed off. I phoned the store, and asked them if there's any tricks I could do to fix the problem, they said take off the tiny button you press with your finger and soak it in some acetone, I asked if 99%iso alcohol would work they said yes, so I did that, and they also said to soak the can in hot water, I got a pot of water steaming on the stove, it was hot enough I couldn't keep my hand in the water, but I wasn't going to be injured. After a few minutes I put the tiny cap back on the can and tried using it again and it was working fine, not just fine but very well and the product sprayed out very effiently, I suppose because the hot water heated up the contents and made it want to come out of the can faster, and the finger button was cleaned out real well with the alcohol.... So, if any of y'all have greif with spray cans in the future, that's a tip for you guys, it sure helped me and I was able to finish my job. 

Edited by 1958 rambler super - Feb/24/2022 at 11:01am
mbwicz View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbwicz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/24/2022 at 11:21am
1958, This is an alternative to cutting the fresh panels out:

Its a rustproofing spray that uses a long hose and special nozzle.  The idea is that you have some access point and put this tube inside.  Then spray the goo in there while you pull the hose out.  Not cheap ($27/can), but something to think about.  I havent used it yet, but bought some.

Mike

1970 AMX, one step forward, one step back. Both steps cost time and money.
JGRANTAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRANTAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/25/2022 at 5:12pm
 When I am done using spray cans I always clear them out upside down for a few seconds then I wash out the nozzle and top of the spray can with brake cleaner after that I air blow them clean especially Rust-Olem cans that can be sprayed any angle it makes a difference. 

When welding new metal in clean it good on both sides to remove any oil or contamination, in tight enclosed areas a small hole can be added to allow access for painting after welding I have modified spray can nozzles to accept those little red straws and spray difficult inside areas. I made a 3' "T" handle rod that I mount a modified spray can nozzle on the end connected with a 1/8" line to a spray can that's how I panted all up inside the cowl area on my 70, a little planning goes a long way.

Edited by JGRANTAMX - Feb/25/2022 at 5:14pm
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/25/2022 at 8:41pm
I blunted a 3/8 's drill bit so it fits inside the spot weld hole and removes the weld thru primer just inside the hole.
Plus I store the can nozzles in lacquer thinner between use.
Sometimes the can will stop up at the top of the can where the nozzle will insert.
You can clear that ( now this is potentially messy ), by putting a rubber tipped blow gun nozzle over the hole on top of the can, and applying pressure to the can for a second. If you don't do this just right,  you're gonna get sprayed.

Then my welder starts the gas as soon as you pull the trigger, but doesn't start the weld until about a second later,  then continues gas flow for about a second after you let off the trigger.
That results in having the weld area flooded with inert gas before you weld and until the weld puddle cools down.
It seems wasteful of gas but results in a much smoother weld bead.
No bump at the start, and no hole in the end .
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1958 rambler super Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/27/2022 at 10:50am
When I fire up the welder I have, I turn the wire speed all the way down and turn on the gas and the regulator and all that and I pull the trigger until the sound of what's coming out of the gun changes, letting me know there's gas right there for when I start the welding, then I turn up the wire speed back to which ever I was using it. I was also looking at that Eastwood product and wondered how easy it would be to make one of those spray hoses they sell. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic