TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Rust prevention for troughs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote First_Gear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/30/2020 at 5:03pm
I did this on mine. They were in good shape still galvanized! I had the fenders off and had to remove them to get to the cowl. (Inside of my cowl was swiss cheese) I lightly sand blasted them, welded them back on and applied spi epoxy followed by restoration shop 2k urethane (under hood black) recaulked with brushable seam sealer and replaced the rubber seals. I don't expect problems for the rest of my lifetime. 

Here in rainy washington you gotta make your cars water proof or be willing to let the car sit for 10 months out of the year. 
Joelfanti View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joelfanti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/20/2021 at 11:00am
Look up SEM rust trap. Urethane coating that I’ve used all over my Javelin. It amazing stuff. If you want pictures you can message me. I’m not up to 30’posts yet so I can post yet
george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/20/2021 at 11:44am
Don't forget to paint/treat the underside of the front fenders above the troughs.
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
sweatlock View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/20/2021 at 12:28pm
I’m surprised at the bad feedback regarding POR-15, I’ve been using it for years with no issues. I’ve always thought it was a good product and did what it was advertised to do. Florida is pretty tough on old vehicles, too. 
TX390AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX390AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/20/2021 at 7:57pm
Back in the early 80's, long before POR15 and other corrosion prevention products, my brother-in-law and I used a mixture of STP (remember that?) and mobile home roof coating inside the fenders and troughs of my then-wife's 72 Javelin SST. Also put it inside doors, trunk drop-off areas and anywhere else midwest rust was likely to attack. My daughter still owns the car today, the body looks great, even tho it's been driven in salt/chloride winters in Illinois til about 10 years ago when she moved to Texas. Unfortunately, the floors, trunk, frame rails and other areas we didn't treat or couldn't easily get to are toast, but the fenders and doors still look great.
  If it's going to be maintained with any sort of concern for the elements, any etching epoxy primer and top coat will do. Even brushable Rustoleam would be a good choice for the trough areas. Remember, these areas were either dipped in primer or missed entirely when the cars were new and they weren't expected to last 50 years! A side effect of the STP/roof coating mix was that the car would "leak" from the doors and bottoms of the fenders during hot summer days. Paint it with something and let your heirs worry about it for the next 50 years.
Terry
68 AMX 390 4 Sp Rally Green
68 AMX 390 4 Sp Matador Red
68 AMX 390 4 Sp Calcutta   
   Russet
56 Chevy Sedan Delivery
2016 Can AM Spyder
55 Chev pickup
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/20/2021 at 10:05pm
After sand blasting/painting or POR15 I always use this in the troughs and on the inner fenders:
Have never seen flaking, drying, rust after applying this. Brutal to get it off hands or clothing - just be warned!
ccowx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccowx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/21/2021 at 7:55am
I would like to second the comment about cleaning and protecting the under side of the fenders. My 1970 had the tops of both fenders soft and rusting through when I got it. Funnily enough, the troughs underneath are fine, to this day. The water and sand and all that collected but the corrosion did not seem to harm the troughs themselves. Worst thing that happened to them was that the staples holding the rubber seals on rusted away!

Chris 
Joelfanti View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joelfanti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/21/2021 at 8:10am
I raptor liner me inner fenders after painting them 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic