TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

T/S socket grease?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xspiriment Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: T/S socket grease?
    Posted: Nov/27/2020 at 8:12am
As i go through some wiring sockets i have found that there is a dried up grease substance packed in and around the wires when you open up the socket. Is this generally used in the late 70's cars, looks to be white lithium. Has any one cleaned and re packed with the correct grease what ever it may be? Have two spirits and both have this 40 year old dried up grease. Thanks Paul
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/27/2020 at 8:27am
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
xspiriment View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xspiriment Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/27/2020 at 9:42am
i know all about dielectric grease, been using is for 30+ years. This dried stuff is not where the bulb goes into the socket its inside the socket itself. You have to open up the socket to clean the cavity of the dried substance. would like to replace it with equivalent packing grease unless your saying substitute with dielectric grease. I have never seen a white dielectric grease only clear. Any other comments about this. Thanks
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/27/2020 at 10:25am
I haven't seen the old-school white grease that was used to seal electrical connections on anything newer than about 1985.  I am NOT saying that is a hard date, just what I've seen.  Unless I'm mistaken the dielectric grease is the current material to use.  I use it on bulb sockets, wiring harness connectors, anywhere there is a electrical slip joint of some kind that I want to waterproof and have some corrosion resistance.  I understand what you are saying about the white grease being in the socket below the contact disc but personally I would use the dielectric grease there also.

Edited by 6PakBee - Nov/27/2020 at 10:27am
Roger Gazur
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/28/2020 at 8:07am
My Grandfather and Dad used Lubriplate. Besides both working in automotive garages, my Grandfather was later working for GE and Father for Bell Canada. They continued to use a Lubriplate spray product until they passed away.
My Grandfather held patents for several GE designed switches and sockets, so likely knew what he was doing.
It was white grease. Lubriplate lists this product:

"DS-ES Electric Switch Lubricant: Developed for the lubrication of electrical switch contacts. Used extensively in the automotive industry for switches, sockets, and wiring harness connectors. Excellent oxidation resistance and compatibility with metal, plastic and rubber. Product Part No. L0137-."
Heavy 488 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy 488 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/28/2020 at 9:05am
As with anything else. The old materials become obsolete.
Manufacturer's used what was available at that time. Just because it was a good choice at that time doesn't mean its still the best choice.
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/28/2020 at 4:16pm
You obviously have extensive experience with this Heavy.
Please feel free to contact the company and tell them their product is crap:
All the information you need is on these pages:
I was just trying to inform people what the old factory white grease they see is.
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/28/2020 at 4:39pm
We may have an apples and oranges situation here.  If I was lubricating an electrical switch, I'd probably go with the Lubriplate.  If I was simply trying to get corrosion protection, I'd go with the dielectric grease.  But that's simply my opinion, not trying to disparage any option.
Roger Gazur
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
Heavy 488 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy 488 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/28/2020 at 4:48pm
Originally posted by Trader Trader wrote:

You obviously have extensive experience with this Heavy.
Does 40 years in the automotive electronics manufacturing supply chain count?
Probably not
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/28/2020 at 6:09pm
40 years of experience is good by me. 
Please explain why the Lubriplate product is inferior.
I'd certainly like to know the in's and outs of better products and why.
Please elaborate.
6PakBee, you have a similar opinion. The question is the same, why?
I've used the Lubriplate here in the salt belt for all my life and it's always been good for me. If there's a better product I'd use it.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic