TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Horn Tune-Up

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Someassemblyrqd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Horn Tune-Up
    Posted: Nov/25/2020 at 7:44pm
My ‘70 high/low horns are low in volume, tone and functionally In reliable.

What steps can I take to wake them up and bring them back to life?

Thx. Greg 
Greg E.
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/25/2020 at 10:31pm
Not sure about 70, but some years have horn adjustment procedure in the TSM. But OH MY GAWD OH IT IS SO LOUD WOW I did it once, everyone hated me.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

TX390AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX390AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/25/2020 at 11:56pm
Greg,
  Not sure if the 70's are the same as the 68/9, but I've disassembled several sets of non-working horns, beadblasted the exteriors, made a new set of gaskets, cleaned up the vibrator/coil and reassembled with self-tapping screws. After investing about 6 hours per horn, about half of them worked, half didn't. If I had it to do over again, I'd find a generic horn and be done with it. There has been a post on here this year about replacement horns that are close to the originals, not perfect, but finding good working 50 year old electrical parts is a real challenge. Good luck.
Terry
68 AMX 390 4 Sp Rally Green
68 AMX 390 4 Sp Matador Red
68 AMX 390 4 Sp Calcutta   
   Russet
56 Chevy Sedan Delivery
2016 Can AM Spyder
55 Chev pickup
ccowx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccowx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/26/2020 at 9:48am
I managed to bring my horns on my 70 back from the dead. One worked but quietly and the other did not work at all. By removing them, spraying wd-40 down the throats and turning them to insure it went to the bottom I got them working. Tapping them lightly can help free up the reed(?) and just trying them over and over on a spare battery seems to work at least some of the time. Also, check grounds where they bolt to the rad support. Cleaning that might help.

They have worked reliably and loud enough to irritate people for 6-8 years now!

Chris 
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/26/2020 at 10:17pm
The older the horn, the better made it is. On my Classic wagon I had a pair of terrifying, 6-volt, horns from a Studebaker one ton stake bed truck, abandoned in our industrial neighborhood in San Francisco (needless to say this was long ago). Those things would wake the dead. The lights dimmed when you used them. They commanded attention. They were just great. 

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

390amx1 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 390amx1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2020 at 12:29pm
Had mine redone by this guy.  Neither worked.  Excellent and they still work great four years later.
69 BBB 390 Tremec 5-speed AMX #13584 since 1978 (166,000 miles)
08 Zo6 Corvette
22 Ram 1500
24 CT5-V Blackwing #317
Yamaha Supercharged Jet Ski's
LakesideRamblin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakesideRamblin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2020 at 3:33pm
Originally posted by 390amx1 390amx1 wrote:

Had mine redone by this guy.  Neither worked.  Excellent and they still work great four years later.

X2.  Gary does great work.
LakesideRamblin
69 Rambler 360
73 Javelin 360
"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." T. Roosevelt
Someassemblyrqd View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Someassemblyrqd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2020 at 9:15pm
Top shelf!  Thanks for the suggestion and testimonials.  Greg
Greg E.
Steve_P View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/10/2020 at 12:54pm
As said, there is a procedure in the TSM to adjust them. I did mine on the workbench jumped to a car battery, with ear muff hearing protectors on.
You can take them apart, but if you want the OE stock show look you should probably see if the restoration place linked above can duplicate, or close, the riveting. I can't remember if the Spartan horns are date coded, but the FoMoCo horns are.
Bill F View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/10/2020 at 5:55pm
The Horn Works. Pretty quick  turnaround, look great snd sound right. I sent him 4 horns and they made 2 nice ones. I got them back in 2 weeks.
Bill Frazer
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic