TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Gen 1 V8 oil dipstick location

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Desert Ambassador Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gen 1 V8 oil dipstick location
    Posted: Nov/20/2020 at 11:34am
Greetings,
   I do light mechanical work for a private car collection. It recently acquired 2 1957 Ambassadors from another collection. One of the cars has been 98% restored. The engine is all red and has the dipstick on the drivers side, like my 63 Ambassador. The other is very original, however the block is blue, with a red intake and valve covers, and the dipstick is on the passenger side. The ID tag on both say they're 1957 327s, but it's on the easily swapped generator mount.
   An internet search shows 287s with the stick in the same location as the 327. Could this be a 250? Did early 327s have a pass. side dipstick?

Any help would be appreciated. I can get pics if necessary.

Thanks,

Dave
Buzzman72 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buzzman72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/20/2020 at 12:23pm
The '56 250s in the Hornet Special and the Ambassador Special were blue. 

Try a light and a mirror to look at the back of the block near the distributor. The 327 will have a "4", and the 250 will have no marking.

Buzzman72...void where prohibited, your mileage may vary, objects in mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.
mramc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mramc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/20/2020 at 12:40pm
The 287 V-8 generation 1 AMC engines were made in the 1964 to 1966 period. The 287s were blue, the 327s red and the early 250 V-8 gray . The 250s were made up to 1961 I believe I'd have to double check to be sure. But the 250s are pretty rare, 327s more common since they were made from 1956 to 1969 . The last couple year Jeep only. LRDaum
LRDaum
Rebel327 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/22/2020 at 9:35am
The 250 and 327 blocks were the same except for bore diameter.   The 287 would not be a direct bolt in as the engine mounts are in a different location on block.  It could be done...however dip stick location is same.
Post pictures for more help perhaps.
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/22/2020 at 11:03am
Originally posted by Rebel327 Rebel327 wrote:

The 250 and 327 blocks were the same except for bore diameter.   The 287 would not be a direct bolt in as the engine mounts are in a different location on block.  It could be done...however dip stick location is same.
And the oil pan is also different too. A 1961 pan will not clear a 1962 steering linkage
Buzzman72 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Buzzman72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/23/2020 at 5:40am
Originally posted by purple72Gremlin purple72Gremlin wrote:

And the oil pan is also different too. A 1961 pan will not clear a 1962 steering linkage

But the steering linkage situation won't apply, because the cars are both '57 Ambassadors, not '61-'62 Ramblers.
Buzzman72...void where prohibited, your mileage may vary, objects in mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/23/2020 at 12:49pm
Originally posted by Buzzman72 Buzzman72 wrote:

Originally posted by purple72Gremlin purple72Gremlin wrote:

But the steering linkage situation won't apply, because the cars are both '57 Ambassadors, not '61-'62 Ramblers.
ok.  I was just commenting. 
Desert Ambassador View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Desert Ambassador Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/12/2020 at 10:40am
Thanks to all who steered me in the right direction. I finally got to look at the cars. The restored coupe has a raised "4" on the back of the block. The survivor sedan with the blue block does not. The curator of the collection and I had a talk about that. He said as long as it runs good it's no big deal.
Buzzman72 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buzzman72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/12/2020 at 11:05am
You MAY have a 250 from a '56 Hornet or Ambassador Special.
amcenthusiast View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcenthusiast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/12/2020 at 11:23am
I have a picture of a 287 showing 3 3/4" actual numbers cast into the top of the flywheel housing behind the right cylinder head. (I'd have to dig it up -it's in my Google+ photo storage)

All Rambler V8s I've ever rebuilt have a casting boss in the crank gallery for a dipstick on either side, but all mid-sixties car engines I've seen have the dipstick on the driver side (& no hole drilled for a dipstick on the pass. side)

For more information about AM's '56-'67 Rambler V8, check out my website:

443 XRV8 Gremlin YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=2DmFOKRuzUc
XRV8 Race Parts website: http://amcramblermarlin.1colony.com/
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic