TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Edelbrock Intake

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greyhounds_AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Edelbrock Intake
    Posted: Nov/18/2020 at 7:03pm
Well I didn't know this ever existed. Saw it on a Facebook post. I think it says SP2P AMC.

1968 AMX 390 w/T5
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/18/2020 at 10:44pm
Wow, SP2P for the six! nice curved runners.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

Greyhounds_AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greyhounds_AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/19/2020 at 9:18pm
Definitely! 

That was always the problem with my Clifford - at high rpm the fuel couldn't make the turn. Cyls 2 and 5 were always running lean.
1968 AMX 390 w/T5
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/19/2020 at 9:53pm
Bummer.

Sometimes you just gotta suffer for fashion!

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

1982AMCConcord View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1982AMCConcord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/20/2020 at 6:35pm

Yes... The intake did exist. It's sort of rare... Not a high rpm intake but still a nice piece.

Originally posted by Greyhounds_AMX Greyhounds_AMX wrote:

Definitely! 
LOL
That was always the problem with my Clifford - at high rpm the fuel couldn't make the turn. Cyls 2 and 5 were always running lean.

Was your carb facing forward towards the grill or sideways facing the engine? 

When the carb is facing forward... It's not atomizing the fuel into all the runners equally because the primaries are on one side of the intake mount.  When it's facing the engine... The fuel gets atomized equally across all the intake runners and dispersed into each cylinder properly. 
Greyhounds_AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greyhounds_AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/20/2020 at 8:13pm
Well mine was facing forward, but it didn't have the problem you're thinking about because it was a double pumper. 

The mixture issues with the Clifford intake really only came into play for me above 5500 rpm, but it was set up to shift at 6200 rpm so I had to deal with it constantly. I went through a number of different carbs actually, as my college roommate ended up working as an engineer for Holley so he sent me all kinds of stuff, even had a number of carbs built by their "custom shop" at the time.
1968 AMX 390 w/T5
wittsend View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wittsend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/21/2020 at 7:40pm
The SP2P's in the V-8 world were narrow runner, open plenum manifolds. More of a mileage improver (due to higher velocity) manifold than anything else.
'63 American Hardtop
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic