TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Drag Racing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Viking Coil Overs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/13/2021 at 8:56am
The postman came today:

I've finally given up drinking for good...........now I only drink for evil.
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/13/2021 at 11:26pm
Tell you what, these shocks are a whole new world for me. Just playing with them using the human shock dyno and on the compression side, the recommendation is 12-16, once I get to about 10 clicks, I cannot physically compress the shock by pressing on it, is this normal? On the rebound (extension) direction, they are nice are soft on the lower settings 0-4 recommended for weight transfer.

Can anybody share their baseline settings for a Gremlin? I can see I have a whole new skillset to learn. This might be where you need somebody at the track filming your starts to better understand what is happening.
mbwicz View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbwicz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/14/2021 at 4:42am
The adjustment knobs are pretty easy to get to with this setup, right? I would just start taking notes and see what you think of the car. You bought the shocks for drag, right? I know that Viking has several different setups based on intended use.

YOu now have another set of variables on this car, it may take a while for you to get comfortable, but now you can change it!
1970 AMX, one step forward, one step back. Both steps cost time and money.
XJ6 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote XJ6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/14/2021 at 5:42am
Nice looking parts. Will be very interested in the installation
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/14/2021 at 7:54am
Originally posted by mbwicz mbwicz wrote:

The adjustment knobs are pretty easy to get to with this setup, right? I would just start taking notes and see what you think of the car. You bought the shocks for drag, right? I know that Viking has several different setups based on intended use.

YOu now have another set of variables on this car, it may take a while for you to get comfortable, but now you can change it!

They are next level compared to anything I have dealt with before, look amazing. Adjustment knobs are definitely easy to get at, which will make life easy in that regard. As you say, they have ball park settings for different applications, so something to start with. Definitely throws some variables into the mix.

I've got as far as pulling the old springs and shocks out, the new setup will save about 7 lbs per side, which is a good start.

Edited by WesternRed - Jan/14/2021 at 7:56am
bwamx View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/14/2021 at 11:38am
I'm running Warrior Front & Rear.  Your shocks are  more aggressive than mine , but yep that tighten up fast. When I first tried to set mine up by guessing the settings but the instructions it did not seem correct.
I contacted Viking and they gave me some good starting points.  I'd shoot them a email with all your info on the car set , launch style etc..
And when you do get to the track, have someone get a good video of the launch, so you can watch it frame by frame. Keep a log of your settings, change 1 thing at a time.

Bob  
73 Jav-AMX " The Black Widow"
358cu/in Crossram
T-10 9" Rear
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/16/2021 at 8:44am
Cracked on with the installation today. As the kit is actually intended for a 60s's US Falcon the only real issue is that the T-bar is a little short, which we already knew about, it will accommodate a 4.15-4.85" bolt spacing, AMC uses a 5" bolt spacing:

Nothing that can't be fixed with a little bit of work with the die grinder to elongate the holes in the upper control arm slightly.

Other than that, it is a direct fit:

I really like how it uses the factory upper spring mount arrangement unlike a full coil-over where the upper shock mount would need to be modified to accommodate the extra load. 

Double adjustable with reasonably accessible controls, bearing lower mount too. They do offer a poly bushing option for more street driven applications:

I went with the AD option, which is intended to promote weight transfer in lower horsepower cars (under 600 HP), seems to have plenty of adjustment for other uses if necessary. 

I've set the ride height to roughly what it was before:

And will have this much extension available to me:

I still have about 3/4" of shock travel with the lower bump stop compressed half way:

The tire will actually bind up on the fender before it gets this far. I probably do need to do something to limit extension on the off chance I ever do get the front wheels off the ground.

XJ6 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote XJ6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/16/2021 at 3:58pm
I like this alot although that T-bar sure does look thin in on the edges...Yikes...I guess(hope) somebody did the engineering.  What was the total cost of this setup minus the shipping to OZ of course?
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/16/2021 at 5:29pm
It was $770 all up by the time you add the spanners and thrust bearings, pretty good value I reckon.

I'm sort of more concerned about the t-bar bending in the middle, will keep an eye on it for sure.
mbwicz View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbwicz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/16/2021 at 5:54pm
I bought bare Viking shocks (factory setup), they were $380 for the pair. By the time you get the spring perches rebuilt and a new set of springs, you are at the same money, and you don’t have the ride height adjustment. And the adjuster knobs are inside the springs with the factory setup. 

Nice setup you have, Western Red. 
1970 AMX, one step forward, one step back. Both steps cost time and money.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic