TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Drag Racing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Mono Leaf Springs for Gremlin

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mono Leaf Springs for Gremlin
    Posted: Oct/26/2020 at 4:02pm
Currently looking at the Calvert split mono leaf springs, unsure of what height being either stock, plus or minus 1". I'm leaning towards 1" lower given some weight has been taken out, running a 275/60/15 radial now with stock 6 cylinder springs, but unsure how far they have sagged over time. Anybody got any experience here?
I've finally given up drinking for good...........now I only drink for evil.
Rebel Machine View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/26/2020 at 6:00pm
I've got the Calvert split monoleafs on my '69 AMX. Got the stock height. Put them in a couple of years ago, no sagging that I've noticed. I've also taken some weight off the car. Rear tires are larger than stock.

-Steve-

WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/26/2020 at 6:46pm
This is where I'm sitting with the factory springs:

AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/26/2020 at 7:45pm
Looks like you've got traction bars. I'm running Cal-Tracs. My car lifts and suspension separates a bit.

The Calvert split monos are kind of stiff too.

Are you concerned about the tires rubbing on the wheel arch?

-Steve-
gunnarcove View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gunnarcove Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/26/2020 at 9:51pm
I've got caltracs on my 69 amx also. ordered 2" taller
than stock. running 275/50/15 mickey thompson street r
tires. not sure i could get bigger tire without trimming
front lower edge of quarter.

amo #9922
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/26/2020 at 10:15pm
Originally posted by Rebel Machine Rebel Machine wrote:

Looks like you've got traction bars. I'm running Cal-Tracs. My car lifts and suspension separates a bit.

The Calvert split monos are kind of stiff too.
Are you concerned about the tires rubbing on the wheel arch?
-Steve-

Probably don't want to go any lower than where I am now or the tires may rub. I'm hoping split mono-leafs and Caltracs will offer some improvement over the old school slapper bars and factory springs. Was just thinking Caltracs initially, but my springs are probably old and tired, plus all of the bushes are flogged out, so might just go the whole hog. It's not street driven, so ride isn't a priority, getting it to launch hard is.
XJ6 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote XJ6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/27/2020 at 4:42am
Latest Calvert racing catalog only shows springs and bars for 68-74 Javelin/AMX   Wonder if they discontinued some of their AMC products?
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/27/2020 at 5:56am
They can supply for just about anything I reckon.
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/27/2020 at 6:10pm
If you get the Caltracs you'll have to slightly modify the lower shock mount. I had a set on my old '73 Gremlin and it isn't close. I made a template of the original and cut the mount off the original then welded it to the Caltrac piece. Also the AMC axle tube is smaller in diameter than the 'U' bolts that come with it. You'll also need to slot the holes in the lower mount to make the correct 'U' bolts fit.

I've got pics of the lower mount if you want to see them.

-Steve-

AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/27/2020 at 6:44pm
Rebel Machine, I think I've see you shock mounts in my googling and thought I would do the same if they can't supply them with the correct mount. They did ask if it is still running the AMC20, so would be a bit disappointing if it did come with lower mounts that didn't fit the U-bolts. For ride height, I think stock might be the safest option, better that it sits a bit higher rather than find the tires rub when you put them on.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic