TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 401 going to Machinist should I drill oil passage?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

401 going to Machinist should I drill oil passage?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rang-a-stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 401 going to Machinist should I drill oil passage?
    Posted: Oct/15/2020 at 11:22am
Sending my short block off for some work including a hot tank. My oiling system is stock. Should I drill out the oil passage that goes from the oil pressure sending port up the to lifter valley? If so, is there a write up anywhere? 

Any other mods I should do to my block? I already added a few oil drain back holes to the lifter valley...
79 Cherokee, 401
wrebelmachine View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wrebelmachine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/15/2020 at 1:12pm
There is a guy in my area that runs a loop line on the back of the block connecting the right and left lifter gallery together. he claims it is much better than the lifter valley line for a band aid and easier to do.
PAGAENT View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PAGAENT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/15/2020 at 3:01pm
X2
Pat Gary
mbwicz View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbwicz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/15/2020 at 3:27pm
My machinist has an oven and shot blaster to clean blocks, he says that the oven does a better job of removing the crap from the water jackets.  Since you said there was a lot of sand in the block, maybe an oven is better for your block?  If you aren't going to bore it, I'd avoid the shot blasting.
1970 AMX, one step forward, one step back. Both steps cost time and money.
rang-a-stang View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rang-a-stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/15/2020 at 4:24pm
Originally posted by wrebelmachine wrebelmachine wrote:

There is a guy in my area that runs a loop line on the back of the block connecting the right and left lifter gallery together. he claims it is much better than the lifter valley line for a band aid and easier to do.
Originally posted by PAGAENT PAGAENT wrote:

X2
Copy that. I'll check that out. 
Originally posted by mbwicz mbwicz wrote:

My machinist has an oven and shot blaster to clean blocks, he says that the oven does a better job of removing the crap from the water jackets.  Since you said there was a lot of sand in the block, maybe an oven is better for your block?  If you aren't going to bore it, I'd avoid the shot blasting.
The first time I rebuilt this engine (8k miles ago, about 18 months ago), I picked out a TON of rust scale, casting sand, and other garbage out of my water jackets. The machinist I used that time did the baking/shot peening/high pressure washing process as well. Yet last night I picked even more sand and scale out! I was really surprised how much was left in there. I assume the heating/cooling cycles after the last 18 months of driving broke even more stuff loose? My jackets are nice and clean'ish now. 
79 Cherokee, 401
73hornut View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 73hornut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/15/2020 at 10:40pm
Concentrate, on the oil flow, through the timing set to the distributor gears.
71 Javelin
74 Gremlin
79 Spirit AMX
Rogue Valley Rumblers
Like Us on FB
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1602825606650796
Hurst390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hurst390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/16/2020 at 6:57am
No you only need to run a long 5/16 bit in the main feed holes. remove the cam bearings first. and verify your timing set oil hole location as mentioned.
SC/Hurst Rambler

11.62 120

100% Street Legal
SC397 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SC397 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/16/2020 at 8:15am
Originally posted by Hurst390 Hurst390 wrote:

No you only need to run a long 5/16 bit in the main feed holes. remove the cam bearings first. and verify your timing set oil hole location as mentioned.

This is what I told him as well.
Once you clean up the main feed holes, de-burr the slot at the cam bearings with some emery cloth.
rang-a-stang View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rang-a-stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/16/2020 at 1:09pm
Holy blocked passages, batman!!! Good input! My #5 was about 1/3 blocked! The other 4 had casting flash but not like #5. All clear now! 
79 Cherokee, 401
Rebel Machine View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/17/2020 at 7:31am
Originally posted by wrebelmachine wrebelmachine wrote:

I've seen that done on a Ford block. Makes a ton of sense, just make sure the flywheel doesn't get into it.

-Steve-

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic