TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

24 valve head

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spin Doctor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 24 valve head
    Posted: Sep/28/2020 at 12:51pm
I was watching a video on YouTube where they took a 4.0 stroker and did any number of modifications to bring the HP up to 395. In the comments section of the video one individual commented that in Argentina there is a racing series for DOHC 24 valve heads have been developed for inline sixes for Ford, Chevrolet and the Jeep inline sixes. These heads were available as I understand it only through the sanctioning body
Engines on test stands
Is this real. There's no reason it couldn't be done. I'm wondering if it really has
74 Hornet, 75 Pacer, 68 AMX, 77 Hornet, 82 Concord, 84 Wagoneer
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/28/2020 at 12:58pm
Sure. No reason to make a head for an old obsolete engine  and they will not be cost effective either.
Then how about the valve train, manifolds?  All cost money..
wittsend View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wittsend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/28/2020 at 1:38pm
Similar in the Ford 2.3 Lima engine (Pinto motor). A 16 valve head from a Volvo is used and with modifications it is made to work. But unless you have the welder, machine shop etc. at your disposal AND you like the challenge then a 16 valve Duratec engine is a FAR easier solution. There is a reason the LS engine is so popular. Modern (used) engines make much more HP for the money.

If uniqueness is more important than HP return on the dollar than sure, why not. Your money, your choice.
'63 American Hardtop
Heavy 488 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy 488 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/28/2020 at 2:26pm
Moons ago, guys were cutting up and welding Ford Cleveland heads to use on the 300 inch inline. 
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/28/2020 at 7:01pm
Originally posted by Heavy 488 Heavy 488 wrote:

Moons ago, guys were cutting up and welding Ford Cleveland heads to use on the 300 inch inline. 
Very interesting.   But then I honestly never really kept up with the 240/300 6s.  Althrough they can run very well.
Heavy 488 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy 488 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/28/2020 at 7:36pm
There was also a cross flow head for the Australian Ford 250-6.
Steve_P View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/29/2020 at 7:19am
Originally posted by Heavy 488 Heavy 488 wrote:

I know a guy that did this decades ago on an inline Ford turbocharged engine; he used Boss 302 head sections which he had furnace brazed together. He was an excellent engine machinist with a full shop so he had the skill and tools available.
73Gremlin401 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73Gremlin401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/29/2020 at 9:23am
Originally posted by Spin Doctor Spin Doctor wrote:

I was watching a video on YouTube where they took a 4.0 stroker and did any number of modifications to bring the HP up to 395. In the comments section of the video one individual commented that in Argentina there is a racing series for DOHC 24 valve heads have been developed for inline sixes for Ford, Chevrolet and the Jeep inline sixes. These heads were available as I understand it only through the sanctioning body

IIRC, the 'jeep' Argentinian engines are based on the Kaiser Tornado inline 6s, not the AMC motor. These were already crossflow heads, so the work they did on them were more of an evolution to the existing design.  Still, amazing work to an already interesting motor.
73 Gremlin 401/5-spd.
77 Matador Wagon 360/727.
81 Jeep J10 LWB 360/4-spd
83 Concord DL 4-dr 258/auto

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/30/2020 at 6:53am
That's what I was thinking -- the "Jeep" engine mentioned is most likely the old Kaiser Tornado OHC six, or more recently the IKA/Renault Torino OHC six (an updated version of the Tornado from 1973, built through 1982). The main feature of the Torino version is seven main bearings vs. four for the Tornado. I believe they changed the cam from six to twelve lobes, but I can''t find anything to verify that. Will have to ask some of my Argentine friends about it!
Frank Swygert
Spin Doctor View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spin Doctor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/30/2020 at 11:03am
farna
That was my thought also. In the videos you can plainly see where it says Torino on the valve cover. From the reply I got from the individual who made the original comment the Tornado derived engine had become un-competitve. In 2014 or 15 new DOHC heads where developed for Ford, Chevrolet and Jeep engines. The Jeep engines are being used in Dodges being raced in the particular series that formerly used Slant Sixes. I have ask the individual again if the block on these motors is the Tornado derived one or the 4.0. In one of the video you can see the left side of the block and it looks a lot like a 4.0. But that's not a lot to go on. I'd need o see the horns for bell housing mounts to know for sure. Jeeps sold in Argentina were likely built in either Argentina or Venezuela.  Wikipedia in their XJ article lists a number of engines used but does not list anything specifically related to IKA (Kaiser Industries Argentina) or Renault beyond the JS8 TD 2.1 liter diesel. 
If there was or is a OHC head that was built for the 4.0 there are a number of ways one could go about it. The issue is driving the cam/s. If the stock wet sump and oil pump are retained one could use a shortened camshaft to drive the oil pump. The timing gear on the cam could be replaced with one that has a nose that extends through a modified timing cover to drive the cam. Plugs would need to be installed in the lifter bores to seal the oil galley. Additionally the oil feed to the #4 cam bearing would need to be blocked. Oil to feed the valve train could be taken from one or more of the blocked lifter bores. But from the video it appears that the engine is a dry sump system. The motors in this class are supposed to be producing around 500 hp. 
As to a modified timing cover there's a video from 505 Performance of a 4.9 liter naturally aspirated stroker that uses alcohol fuel which appears to have a cam driven fuel pump driven either by an extended timing gear or a custom camshaft. You can clearly see a seal installed in the front cover
74 Hornet, 75 Pacer, 68 AMX, 77 Hornet, 82 Concord, 84 Wagoneer
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic