TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Power Steering Pressure Hose - 69 AMX

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMX09652 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Power Steering Pressure Hose - 69 AMX
    Posted: Sep/24/2020 at 8:36pm
I recently had my Eaton PS pump rebuilt.  When I installed on my car, I put a used "original" pressure hose on it.

Gave it a test drive...and saw that there was fluid leakage at both attachment points of the hose (at the pump and at the box).  I tightened the nuts as much as I could and tried again....still leaking at the hose attachments.

Am I missing something that I need to do to make this work....or is the old hose fittings just shot?

I have another original hose that I could try...or just go with a new aftermarket hose?

Thanks for input.

Darron 

1969 BBO AMX 390 4 speed

"Deep in the heart of Texas"

tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/24/2020 at 11:29pm
Oh man, I'd buy a new hose. Are they flare fittings? Are the flares, inside and out, perfect and smooth? 

Generally speaking, old rubber is bad rubber. 

THere exist soft copper cone flare washers that might help seal old fittings.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

AMX09652 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMX09652 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2020 at 8:09am
Yes, flare fittings that look good to my eye.

Just wanted to run an original hose.  I know the potential issues with old rubber.

Not sure I want add flare washers if they weren't there originally.

Thanks.

1969 BBO AMX 390 4 speed

Steve_P View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2020 at 8:38am
Is this the same hose you used prior? Was it leaking then?
There are aluminum seats in the pump and the box that the hose ends seals to. I'm guessing you didn't have this problem before, so try another hose.
AMX09652 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMX09652 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2020 at 9:49am
Not the same hose as prior.  Previously had an aftermarket hose on the car that was not leaking.

I do have another original hose....can give it a try.

1969 BBO AMX 390 4 speed

tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2020 at 10:59pm
Ahh, originality. Got it.

It may be -- not sure how you'd check -- that the original flares deformed to seal, and the "new" hose has a different deformation. 

I wonder if you could find a stone or tool with the right angle, chuck in a drill and clean up the flare? I bet someone has made such a thing, shoudl be OK if you don't take much metal off.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

AMX09652 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMX09652 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/04/2020 at 3:31pm
I put an new Gates aftermarket hose and I'm still have problems with leaking at the fittings.  Am I just a weakling and can't torque these down enough?   

1969 BBO AMX 390 4 speed

turbo View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/04/2020 at 5:35pm
Sometimes after a hose has been mashed a million times the flange loses it's effectiveness to seal.  Have to start with a new hose.  Also.....every time I have had to install hose for any reason it's been my experience that I had to crank the SNOT out of it to prevent leakage.  
they call me Capt RETIRED!
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/04/2020 at 7:46pm
Originally posted by AMX09652 AMX09652 wrote:

I put an new Gates aftermarket hose and I'm still have problems with leaking at the fittings.  Am I just a weakling and can't torque these down enough?   

Both ends of the hose are inverted flare fittings.  If the sealing flare surface is leaking, further tightening should seal it up.  If there is an adapter in the pump or the box (I honestly can't remember if there is), then that's a different situation.

Edited by 6PakBee - Oct/04/2020 at 7:50pm
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
Steve_P View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/05/2020 at 1:37pm
You should be using a flare nut wrench. Not sure if there's a torque spec on these but I've never had one leak and never had to go crazy on one. Maybe you need a bowl of Wheaties at breakfast and some spinach for lunch :)

The seats are replaceable. But it defies the odds that both would be bad simultaneously. I'm not sure where you'd get the seat for the pump, maybe the Ford vendors have them? The seat for the box should be available. You will have to thread a screw into them and pull with a slide hammer.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic