TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

WIPER MOTOR INSTALL

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JERSEYJOE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WIPER MOTOR INSTALL
    Posted: Sep/23/2020 at 10:15am
Is there a trick to installing an electric wiper motor on a 1970 AMX?

Does not seem to be enough room with the arm transmission installed.
1985 J-20 PLOW TRUCK
1977 CJ 7 360 T-18 D 300
1970 AMX ex-SCCA car

SPEED COSTS MONEY HOW FAST DO YOU WANT TO GO?
Steve_P View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/23/2020 at 1:25pm
If the engine is in the car, you are in for a major PITA Ok, pain in the lower back from leaning over the fender. And then you will be cursing when you lose that stupid clip and it somehow ends up on top of the transmission....

The easiest way is to pull the linkage out. Yes, I know, a PITA, you don't want to do that, but it will save you grief in the long run. Install the linkage on the motor. Install the motor and linkage. It is possible to do it with both the engine and the linkage in the car, I've done it, but it isn't worth the frustration IMO and I'd never do that again.
mbwicz View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbwicz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/23/2020 at 1:51pm
Steve,
Same procedure for vacuum wipers? Better to do it before engine install?

Mike
1970 AMX, one step forward, one step back. Both steps cost time and money.
bigbad69 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbad69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/23/2020 at 2:02pm
I found it helped to move the wiper blades up the windshield to extend the linkage out the wiper motor hole. It gives you more room to work with.

The clip... I tied some thin gauge wire to it, a foot or two long. That way, when it inevitably rockets its way to oblivion, you know where to find it - at the end of the tether. Wink Once the clip is safely locked in place on the motor, you can remove the piece of wire.
69 Javelin SST BBO 390 T10
ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/23/2020 at 3:32pm
Those are the only two tricks I know! Thanks for sharing them. It can be done....but it is not fun!

74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
Rebel Machine View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/23/2020 at 6:28pm
Unmount the wiper pivots from the cowl, that should buy you the room you need to install the transmission to the wiper arm. Reinstall the pivots in their mounts after the transmission and wiper arm are connected.

-Steve-

6768rogues View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6768rogues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/23/2020 at 6:28pm
I put a mirror on the intake so I can see what I am doing.
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Located usually near Rochester, NY and sometimes central FL.
JERSEYJOE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JERSEYJOE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/23/2020 at 7:09pm
Great idea to take the wiper splines out of the cowl..  A trick I used to install them is to tie some 10 lb test fishing line to the pivots and when you are ready to install them in the cowl holes you can pull them up with the fishing line.

thanks for the tip guys!
1985 J-20 PLOW TRUCK
1977 CJ 7 360 T-18 D 300
1970 AMX ex-SCCA car

Steve_P View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2020 at 8:54am
one of the last assembly steps at the factory was to install the engine and drivetrain- all at once, less the wheels. By that point the car was essentially assembled - all the trim was installed, etc. They knew what they were doing. They may have installed the seats after the drivetrain, but that's about the only major components that may not have been installed prior.
JERSEYJOE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JERSEYJOE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2020 at 9:15am
Good point Steve but AMC had to know that as a service replacement item, the wiper motor would be difficult to install.  I bet the flat rate time was .5 hour!
1985 J-20 PLOW TRUCK
1977 CJ 7 360 T-18 D 300
1970 AMX ex-SCCA car

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic