TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

WIPER MOTOR INSTALL

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WIPER MOTOR INSTALL
    Posted: Sep/30/2020 at 11:52pm
You should have downloaded the AMC Approved List of Cuss Cords. They help a lot. Some of them are old fashioned now, but they do the trick.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

turbo View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/30/2020 at 6:48pm
Rain does not hurt a car.....It's no claim to fame.  In fact, rain can be good for a car.
they call me Capt RETIRED!
JERSEYJOE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JERSEYJOE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/30/2020 at 4:52pm
NOW THAT I FIGURED IT OUT I COULD DO IT AGAIN!

You would think that if the motor was in the PARK position that the flats on the splined ends would line up with the flats in the cowl panel.  NOOOOOO. I had to wire up the motor and bump it around some to get it in..

If I ever have to do it again I will know. Best part is the THIS CAR WILL NEVER SEE RAIN!
1985 J-20 PLOW TRUCK
1977 CJ 7 360 T-18 D 300
1970 AMX ex-SCCA car

SPEED COSTS MONEY HOW FAST DO YOU WANT TO GO?
scott View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/30/2020 at 4:21pm
Now I know why I've seen some cars with the grating cut out above the wiper motor.
JERSEYJOE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JERSEYJOE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/30/2020 at 3:54pm
GOT IT DONE!

I used some MIG welding wire to attach to the wiper splines. Then I pulled the motor out a bit to connect the CLIP. Done  the hard part was getting the splines back into the cowl. Remember there is a flat spot that aligns with the cowl. I had the wiper motor in PARK mode.  Did not align so I connected power and bumped the motor until the splines lined up.

DONE!
1985 J-20 PLOW TRUCK
1977 CJ 7 360 T-18 D 300
1970 AMX ex-SCCA car

raysinvegas View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote raysinvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/29/2020 at 9:16pm
Remove the hood. Preposition the wiper motor as close as you can to the linkage end. Push the wiper arms up to extend the linkage out through the motor opening in the firewall. Lay out from the front bumper across the engine, towards the wiper motor. I flop an old blanket across everything for comfort. You have to get comfortable enough to have both hands free. That's it. You are now working blind, by feel. Get familiar with the clip, and visualize what it needs to clip in place. Be the clip... na na na.
Andy Ray
64 440H
64 440 Convertible
68 Javelin SST 343
69 Javelin SST 343
69 SC/Rambler
JERSEYJOE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JERSEYJOE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/29/2020 at 8:28pm
I did try that and wads able to attach the motor to the arm but getting the splined end back into the hole was difficult since they are flat on one side and it was not aligned with the flat portion of the cowl..

Frustrating. I rebuilt this entire car from scratch and I can't the  wiper motor in??

Edited by JERSEYJOE - Sep/29/2020 at 8:30pm
1985 J-20 PLOW TRUCK
1977 CJ 7 360 T-18 D 300
1970 AMX ex-SCCA car

304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/29/2020 at 4:37pm
Donno, but you could pull string through the holes with coat hanger, and tie them to each pivot pin. Once you get the linkage in, take up slack to pull each pin through the hole. Tie the ends tight, once the pins are protruding, so they don't fall back down. Install the mounting plate. You will then need to tape one stud, as to keep it from dropping, as you remove the string from the other end. Take care in installing the hardware, by putting pressure on the side of the pin to hold as the nut is placed over the pivot pin. While quickly pinching with fingers the top, while quickly finger tightening the nut. Then work on the other end. It's the only method I would see that would work for just one person to do it alone.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
JERSEYJOE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JERSEYJOE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/29/2020 at 4:22pm
STILL CAN'T GET THIS F__KING WIPER MOTOR INSTALLED.
1985 J-20 PLOW TRUCK
1977 CJ 7 360 T-18 D 300
1970 AMX ex-SCCA car

JERSEYJOE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JERSEYJOE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2020 at 5:34pm
HARRY HOUDINI COULD NOT CHANGE A WIPER MOTOR IN.4 HR.
1985 J-20 PLOW TRUCK
1977 CJ 7 360 T-18 D 300
1970 AMX ex-SCCA car

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic