TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Exhaust manifold to pipe dount adapter

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbad69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/27/2020 at 7:05am
Originally posted by FSJunkie FSJunkie wrote:

...I place my faith in original engineering, but it's not for everyone.
There are design constraints attached to all engineering projects. The constraints given to the factory engineers may not apply in your case. That is why so many people modify their cars from the OE design. The key is in knowing what you doing. Making a change because because it sounds sexy, or Bob next door did it, may yield disappointing results. You need to understand the starting point design, where you want to go, and what you need to do to achieve your goal. You may luck out making ad hoc changes but it's not good design practice.

If sticking to the factory design works for you, that's great, but it does not automatically invalidate someone else making modifications to suit their purposes.
69 Javelin SST BBO 390 T10
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/27/2020 at 7:30am
Originally posted by bigbad69 bigbad69 wrote:

Originally posted by FSJunkie FSJunkie wrote:

...I place my faith in original engineering, but it's not for everyone.
There are design constraints attached to all engineering projects. The constraints given to the factory engineers may not apply in your case. That is why so many people modify their cars from the OE design. The key is in knowing what you doing. Making a change because because it sounds sexy, or Bob next door did it, may yield disappointing results. You need to understand the starting point design, where you want to go, and what you need to do to achieve your goal. You may luck out making ad hoc changes but it's not good design practice.

If sticking to the factory design works for you, that's great, but it does not automatically invalidate someone else making modifications to suit their purposes.
Amen.
1982AMCConcord View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1982AMCConcord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/27/2020 at 4:38pm
Hi everyone. Thanks for your insights. My heat cross over is not blocked off and I do not want to take the intake off to do so. And since I drive the car in the cold weather... I've decided that I will reinstall the heat riser because I think this will help with cold weather operation if the car. 

Does anyone know if the original style flange clamps are still available? 
Nor Cal CJ5 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nor Cal CJ5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/29/2020 at 1:54pm
Originally posted by 1982AMCConcord 1982AMCConcord wrote:

Hi everyone. Thanks for your insights. My heat cross over is not blocked off and I do not want to take the intake off to do so. And since I drive the car in the cold weather... I've decided that I will reinstall the heat riser because I think this will help with cold weather operation if the car. 

Flange clamps?
1972 CJ5 304 2 barrel 3 speed
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/29/2020 at 2:09pm
I believe this is what your looking for:
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1982AMCConcord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/29/2020 at 7:26pm
Originally posted by Nor Cal CJ5 Nor Cal CJ5 wrote:

Originally posted by 1982AMCConcord 1982AMCConcord wrote:

Flange clamps?

Nor Cal... Sorry... Didn't know what to call them but the exhaust shop made the ones that are on there now and they are just flat plates... I thought the stock flanges would work better when I get them to install the heat riser.

AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1982AMCConcord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/29/2020 at 7:30pm
Originally posted by Trader Trader wrote:

Thanks Trader. I'm going to buy the damper kit and the gasket yes... I was asking about the OEM style flanges though... I just didn't know what to call them. I think this will fix the ticking noise coming from that manifold to pipe connection. I didn't know the heat riser existed or I would've installed all this stuff the first time around. 
n2ojoe View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n2ojoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/30/2020 at 7:33am
I have used these Walker "ball flanges" along with stock replacement doughnut gaskets to replace flat flanges just like you have. No heat riser valve is needed, but could be used if desired.
White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/30/2020 at 10:53am
Originally posted by Trader Trader wrote:

Because I've been looking for an exhaust crossover damper for sometime this interested me greatly.

I did some research and found this particular one doesn't have a bi-metal spring, it's just a regular steel spring, so the damper doesn't function correctly, if at all.

This taken from reviews I found on Amazon about the product.

Now as far as the donut, that could be a very functional one. I didn't read anything negative about that.

Is the original part as put on new cars equipped with a bi-metal spring??
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/30/2020 at 11:35am
To my knowledge ALL Heat Riser Dampers/Valves or Exhaust Manifold Dampers/Valves had bimetal springs.
A list of AMC/Jeep numbers: 3225006, 3238998, 3225054, 3185114.
Here is an article on operation and you can see that they were never intended to always be fully opened:
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic