TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Exhaust manifold to pipe dount adapter

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
1982AMCConcord View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1982AMCConcord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Exhaust manifold to pipe dount adapter
    Posted: Oct/30/2020 at 1:29pm
OK Yes.. I understand... Yup... 
Nor Cal CJ5 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nor Cal CJ5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/30/2020 at 1:14pm
Originally posted by 1982AMCConcord 1982AMCConcord wrote:

Originally posted by Nor Cal CJ5 Nor Cal CJ5 wrote:

Originally posted by 1982AMCConcord 1982AMCConcord wrote:

Does anyone know if the original style flange clamps are still available? 

Flange clamps?

Nor Cal... Sorry... Didn't know what to call them but the exhaust shop made the ones that are on there now and they are just flat plates... I thought the stock flanges would work better when I get them to install the heat riser.

Yes - The flat one was installed by the exhaust shop because you didn't have a flapper valve and they probably had to extend the exhaust length to compensate for the lack of the flapper.  The exhaust shop really has no idea of when to use a flat flange or a ball flange.  The drivers side also originally came with a ball flange

On the exhaust manifold side of the flapper valve, you need a flat gasket, on the exhaust pipe side of the flapper, you need a ball flange as the stock flapper came with a doughnut gasket (like the Mahle in your first post).  This is the stock set up.

Check the size of your manifold - I'm sure you are going to need the older version of the flapper valve.  

Also, the thickness of the flapper valve comes into consideration when the exhaust y-pipe length is determined (whether you use a flapper or not).

Edited by Nor Cal CJ5 - Oct/30/2020 at 1:37pm
1972 CJ5 304 2 barrel 3 speed
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1982AMCConcord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/30/2020 at 1:06pm

Do you have a part number for the manifolds?  Can you measure the collector and stud spacing?

If you do have a later style exhaust manifold, you can use the later style heat riser flapper, which would be a good thing.  The later style flapper has a built in doughnut for connection to the exhaust pipe.

I can look... Thanks for the tip... I didn't think of it even looking for a part number. I can measure the stud spacing but not the collector because their hooked up to the exhaust pipe. 
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nor Cal CJ5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/30/2020 at 12:58pm
Do you have a part number for the manifolds?  Can you measure the collector and stud spacing?

If you do have a later style exhaust manifold, you can use the later style heat riser flapper, which would be a good thing.  The later style flapper has a built in doughnut for connection to the exhaust pipe.
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1982AMCConcord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/30/2020 at 12:55pm

Just a FYI:

The heat riser flapper came in 2 sizes.  The one that is more readily available is a 2" flapper valve and came on 1974 and up vehicles. The older style that matches up to the exhaust manifold you have is an earlier assembly and has a 2-1/4" flapper valve.   The Fel-Pro 60133 flat gasket works on the older style flapper valve between the flapper & the exhaust manifold.

I just went thru this with my 1972 304.  After searching for a few months, I found 2 NOS flapper units (one in England) and bought them both.  PM me if you have trouble finding one.

Nor Cal... My engine is a 72 but I'm certain that my manifolds are 74 and later! I didn't get these manifolds with the engine. I'm pretty sure they are Jeep versions.
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nor Cal CJ5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/30/2020 at 12:52pm
Just a FYI:

The heat riser flapper came in 2 sizes.  The one that is more readily available is a 2" flapper valve and came on 1974 and up vehicles. The older style that matches up to the exhaust manifold you have is an earlier assembly and has a 2-1/4" flapper valve.   The Fel-Pro 60133 flat gasket works on the older style flapper valve between the flapper & the exhaust manifold.

I just went thru this with my 1972 304.  After searching for a few months, I found 2 NOS flapper units (one in England) and bought them both.  PM me if you have trouble finding one.
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1982AMCConcord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/30/2020 at 12:13pm
Thanks a lot for the insight guys... I have found several links for them to purchase but no local parts stores can obtain them.. not even NAPA. Even the exhaust shop I used to install my exhaust system has had trouble finding them. They said they would install it if I can locate it but they won't even try to find them anymore. So next week I am taking it back to them to see if they can fix the leak at the donut for now. But next Spring I intend on getting the heat riser installed. Although they did not recommend it... I think that for my type of driving in the colder weather .. I really need to have it. It has been 30-40 degrees where I am right now and I am driving it all the time. I intend on driving it until just before the snow flies and the salt starts hitting the ground. 

Can I ask you guys... what are the negative consequences of not having a heat riser but having a functioning heat crossover? I saw in another post where someone had so much carbon build up in the crossover port that it eventually pushed past the gasket and into the valley of the upper engine... and I definitely do not want that to happen to this engine in my engine bay. 
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/30/2020 at 11:35am
To my knowledge ALL Heat Riser Dampers/Valves or Exhaust Manifold Dampers/Valves had bimetal springs.
A list of AMC/Jeep numbers: 3225006, 3238998, 3225054, 3185114.
Here is an article on operation and you can see that they were never intended to always be fully opened:
White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/30/2020 at 10:53am
Originally posted by Trader Trader wrote:

I believe this is what your looking for:

Because I've been looking for an exhaust crossover damper for sometime this interested me greatly.

I did some research and found this particular one doesn't have a bi-metal spring, it's just a regular steel spring, so the damper doesn't function correctly, if at all.

This taken from reviews I found on Amazon about the product.

Now as far as the donut, that could be a very functional one. I didn't read anything negative about that.

Is the original part as put on new cars equipped with a bi-metal spring??
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
n2ojoe View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n2ojoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/30/2020 at 7:33am
I have used these Walker "ball flanges" along with stock replacement doughnut gaskets to replace flat flanges just like you have. No heat riser valve is needed, but could be used if desired.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic