TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Upcoming Shows and Events
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Kenosha Homecoming 2021 CANCELED

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 12>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bcsideshow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2020 at 2:27pm
Most of our hotels are on the I-94 corridor.  About 10 minutes from the lakefront where the show will be. The hotel on the lake has recently been bought and refurbished by the Wyndham.  I know of people who have stayed there and been happy.  Its still not great.  You are staying there for location.  We also have two new boutique hotels downtown kenosha. https://stellahotel.com/. ; And https://www.attheapis.com/.

Edited by bcsideshow - Nov/10/2020 at 3:05pm
1969 SCRambler "B"
1970 AMX 390 Auto
1968 AMX 390 Auto
1970 Rebel Machine Project
1969 AMX 390 4SPD Project
1969 AMX 390 Auto Project
1969 Javelin 390 project
1997 Cherokee lifted
1998 TJ Lifted
mramc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mramc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2020 at 5:14pm
I have no doubt that assuming every thing is reasonably back to normal by July all the hotels from Racine,Wisconsin to Gurnee,Illinois will be filled up. Kenosha is not that big and some where around 10 K people show up for the meet, many from all over the world too.  Particularly if as they some times have a bicycle race in Kenosha on the same weekend . Also you want to come early for the garage sales. Seems the factory workers took home spare parts from work. Kenosha is the only place you can go to garage sales for AMC parts. Some peoples old garages look like an AMC dealership parts department ! LRDaum
LRDaum
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2020 at 10:42pm
I'm considering going. I haven't been to Kenosha since 1974! Lol, drove through on my way to Bremerton WA, from Falmouth Mass, on my first ever road trip. Intentionally, because AMC. I think that makes me a lifer hardcore AMC fan. In a 62 Ambo 400. I bought a beer in a bar (underage) on some main road that terminated at a little park on the lake. Drove under the AMC bridge over the road. I took photos then, they seem long-lost....

If the hotel won't harm me I generally don't care about the hotel if it's got a survivable bed and hot water and one clean towel. I'm rarely there for more than s**t/shower/shave/sleep. I don't own cars that I worry too much about, they all lock and have one tricky kill switch somewhere, and besides, no one under 60 can drive a column manual, built-in anti-theft. Though I'd likely take the roadster, the stupidest choice given the terrain and weather between here (Los Angeles) and there.

There is no, never was, such a thing as "normal", and so we're not going back to it. We're going forward, and 2021 is likely to be deep-weird. I've long since learned to embrace it and find phun in the interstices.

We're automatically not-normal driving AMCs and Ramblers.

Edited by tomj - Nov/10/2020 at 10:59pm
1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

FleetMaster View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FleetMaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/11/2020 at 11:59am
Hey now, just crossed into my 50'S, and learned first stick shift as three on the tree, worn box, tired synchros, Grandfather taught me how to drive.
You are right, though, stick shift great theft deterent, three on tree even better.  Add manual choke and almost no need for a kill switch.
Bruce Clarkson View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce Clarkson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/13/2020 at 6:47am
My wife and I are looking forward to being there.  Probably bring our new-to-us '68 Ambassador DPL wagon.  If not, the '67 990 hardtop.  

Looking forward to meeting lots of new and old friends.

Bruce Clarkson
Bruce Clarkson
gtoman_us View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gtoman_us Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/13/2020 at 4:49pm
My Hotel reservations have been booked at the Springhill Suites. 

Still rooms available at the Country Inn and Suites.

Interesting last year before the COVID forced cancellation the town was almost sold out by now.
Moderator - Emeritus

Used to collect trophies, now I collect gas receipts and put on miles

1964 Rambler Ambassador Cross Country Wagon
1965 GTO
1931 Model A original survivor
"Flat Roofs are Cool"
6768rogues View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6768rogues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/13/2020 at 7:43pm
I am planning to have my 66 American convertible 4.0/AX15 done for Kenosha. 
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Located usually near Rochester, NY and sometimes central FL.
amxdreamer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxdreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/13/2020 at 10:50pm
I still don't know if the border will be open and hotels have been known for not giving refunds! I'm hoping there is street parking for a truck/camper, trailer combo near the hotel area in Racine!

Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Badassador
AMO#10333
bcsideshow View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bcsideshow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/14/2020 at 8:50am
Here is some info on the area:

Hotels: 

My first choice would probably be the Wyndham by the lake.  Not the greatest but right down  by the show and walking distance to a lot of bars and restaurants. 1-2 minutes from show.

If my wife were going I would probably go with the Double tree (probably nicest in the area) or fairfield Inn (new) on 165 and I94 as they are right across from the Outlet Mall.  About 15 minutes from show

The Country Inn, Comfort Inn, Best western, and Hampton Inn on I94 and HWY 50 are the most popular.  Easy access, bars and restaurants.  a lot of guys hang out in the parking lots as it will be full of fellow AMC's.  About 10 minutes from show.  THere is also a Super 8 on the east side of I94.

Candlewood and holiday inn express are also on HWY 50 near I94.  popular for business travel.  Also close to bars and restaurants and shopping.  Close to the above off of I94.  About 10 minutes from show.

Bluebird, Red oak, and Bach-aire are all Budget motels on the lake.  The area is fine.  Near Surfer Joe's big AMC garage sale (assuming he is having it).

Happy Acres Kampground is the nearest camping area beside small spots at some parks About 25 minutes from show.(Sanders Park 10 minutes from show).    Not that far from the dragstrip.  There is also a Jellystone in Caledonia (northwest of show).

There are other options in Racine (one city North) and Gurnee (big mall and waterpark), Zion.  to the south.

Other things to do.  

Six Flags Amusement Park (Gurnee)
Harley Davidson museum (Milwaukee)
Lake Geneva (old town with shops west of Kenosha and mansions on a lake)
Volo auto museum.

Popular Kenosha Restaurants:
Waterfront warehouse
Franks Diner (breakfast downtown)
Capt. Mikes
TG's (best italian beef)
Boathouse

Bars with some AMC stuff:
Rutz Puzzle House (Great owner and fellow AMC owner)  Near downtown and the show and a place for the locals.
The Garage (across from where AMC used to be)

AMC friendly Mechanics hopefully no one needs:
Ricchio's (big AMC family and racers)
Auto Medix (great mechanic and AMC racer)
Oatsvall Transmission (American Pickers wish they found this place)
Alfano Performance (AMC storefront and AMC performance)

There are also two new boutique hotels downtown that i mentioned in prior post.

Any question on the area please ask.

Edited by bcsideshow - Nov/14/2020 at 9:09am
1969 SCRambler "B"
1970 AMX 390 Auto
1968 AMX 390 Auto
1970 Rebel Machine Project
1969 AMX 390 4SPD Project
1969 AMX 390 Auto Project
1969 Javelin 390 project
1997 Cherokee lifted
1998 TJ Lifted
PROSTOCKTOM View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PROSTOCKTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/14/2020 at 6:48pm
I'll have to add that any trip to Kenosha should without question include breakfast at, The Coffee Pot on 7th Avenue (very close to the show) http://www.kenoshacoffeepot.com/ , or as mentioned above the Kenosha landmark of Frank's Diner http://www.franksdinerkenosha.com/  Personally I usually eat at Frank's once for nostalgia and then eat a couple of meals at The Coffee Pot. What used to be a few day trip evolved into 3-4 days, and now it's to the point I like to just spend the entire week hanging out around town.

Tom 
Molnar Technologies Full Service Dealer - Crankshafts & Connecting Rods

1969 AMC Rambler Rouge Race Car
1974 AMC Hornet Hatchback, Wally Booth Outlaw Nostalgic Pro Stock Race Car Project
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 12>
  Share Topic